CHAPTER 11: A DAY OFF, MAYBE?

Nico had a pounding headache when he woke up, his alarm blaring its screws off.

He really should not have exerted himself that much last night. But he did, impulsively...

And now he was suffering the consequences.

He couldn't muster enough strength to hit the snooze bar, besides, he should really be getting up, unless he wanted to be late for school. But exhaustion was throwing a disco party in his head and his limbs felt as though they had turned to lead.

He lay there, forcing his eyes to remain open, his entire body sore.

Then a knock sounded on his door, which was still locked from last night.

He normally locked his door when he went out on his nightly trips. His mother, Maria, sang at a local bar, a rather posh place which offered a good sum of money. She was free during the day, but worked late into the night, so he hardly saw her around on weekdays, given that he was mostly at school during day time. Maria left home before Nico headed out and returned before he came back. She was under the belief that Nico went to sleep early because school was tiring, and he intended to keep it that way.

"Figlio, are you awake?" Maria's melodious voice drifted through the door.

Nico forced himself to sit up and stumbled for the door, nearly tripping on his own bedsheets. He sluggishly unlocked the door.

"Your alarm has been going off for sometime, you'll get late if you don't-" Maria stopped in her tracks as Nico appeared before her, she took in his ragged, sleep-ridden state, "are you okay, prediletto?"

"... Fine," Nico mumbled, well, he technically was fine, he was just still tired. VERY tired.

"You don't look like it," his mother surveyed him, then reached up to touch his forehead, he leaned into her soft touch, her warmth nearly lolling him back to sleep.

"You look tired, Nico," Maria tutted worriedly, "have you been overworking yourself? School tough?"

"Mm, you could say that... but really mom, I'm fine," Nico assured.

Maria frowned, her kind brown eyes concerned, "do you want to take a day off? Sleep in?"

Nico wanted nothing more, in all honesty. He nearly nodded, but caught himself, "but... what about school?"

"I'll call them and say you aren't feeling that well," his mother reassured him, "and you could ask a friend to lend you today's work?"

Nico had only been at this new school for a few days, and was yet to make proper friends, the closest person he had to a friend was...

Will Solace.

In other words, Sunshot.

Nico was slightly thrown off by the realization that his sworn enemy was the closest person to him at school.

"Yeah," Nico replied to his mother, "yeah I'll ask someone tomorrow."

Maria shot him a smile, " well then, off you go, back to bed!" She shooed him back to bed, fluffing up his pillow and rearranging his blankets. She all but forced him back onto bed and tucked him in carefully.

It felt... nice.

Nico hardly got time to spend with his mother. He knew she was doing her best as a single mother to support him, pay all the bills and cope with the stress and grief of losing two children. But lately he had been feeling as if they had grown a little distant, probably because of the lack of contact.

He couldn't remember a recent time in which his mother tucked him in and kissed him goodnight. That wasn't entirely her fault, considering her job kept her out late and his bedroom door would always be locked at night.

There were things he regretted about becoming Ghost king, but whenever they came to mind, he pushed them away, reminding himself why he had started going out at night in the first place.

But for now, Nico decided to take the day off, sleep in, and, maybe watch a movie with mom?

Yeah, that would be nice.

"And what are you smiling about?" Maria questioned in a playful tone.

He had been smiling?

"Mom, can we watch a movie or something later? This afternoon?"

His voice was laden with hope he didn't know he possessed.

Maria twinkled down at him, "of course, my love, now go to sleep..." she bent down, her graceful figure arching and her soft lips pressed against Nico's forehead in a gentle, loving kiss.

Nico... after a long time... felt content.

Maybe... maybe overexerting himself last night, to save that immature superhero's a** and then to escape his annoyingness...

Maybe it was worth it.

***************

Will was still reeling after what happened last night.

Ghost king had saved him.

He had been saved by Ghost king.

The villain had saved him.

Then the thought that Ghost king might have actually wanted to help him the other night.

And the fact that Ghost king seemed to be hurt, or according to the devil himself, 'just tired'. Huh! Yeah right!.

And then that new girl.

God...

This was so messed up?

Will needed his hot distraction.

Unfortunately, his distraction had not come to school.

To increase his worries.

What had happened to Nico? Was he sick? Hurt? Kidnapped? Or...

Stop Will, that small rat turd size rational part of his brain reasoned, you're being paranoid.

Deep breathes.

You have much more pressing matters to worry about.

Like that history assignment you completely forgot to do-

OMG- HISTORY.

He needed to put together something for it quickly, he still had a bit of time before History class. Three periods? Should be enough.

He should really get on with it.

Or HE would be HISTORY.

With that panicked thought, he dashed towards the library.

Little did Will know, tomorrow was about to be the best day of his life. His might-be crush would walk up to him. ON HIS OWN ACCORD! Can you believe it? OUT OF HIS OWN FREE WILL! And he would ask to borrow Will's books! WILL'S BOOKS! And then he would ask Will to explain one of the lessons he missed! He would ask Will to sit with him at lunch in order to do so! TO SIT WITH HIM!

*Will in Will's head- IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS! *

A/N: Hello there everyone! Long time no see eh? Sorry for the delay, i only recently got back from camp (with a fever ugh, caught it from another cadet) and then was immediately swarmed with tests.

The reason I named the chapter 'a day off, maybe?" is cause that's what I NEED right now ahhh. Remember everyone, rest is important, sleep is important (says the night owl hypocrite me who slept a grand total of 3 hours for the past few days, but hey! exams!) don't overwork yourselves, cause everybody needs some time off, even our beloved Ghost king!

Tell me what you think of this chappy! This is more of a filler chapter.