CHAPTER 24: CHIAROSCURO

A/N: WhAt Is ThIs? Two updates in one day?! The world must be endinggggggg.

Guys, this is the official soundtrack of Ex-nemesis. It's not that long, and not THAT good, after all, I'm merely an insignificant school girl still.

But whatever, tell me what you think!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and everyone in between, I give you the official soundtrack of Ex-nemesis, 'CHIAROSCURO'!

Lou Ellen stared at the canvas, brush suspended inches away from the material. The blank white expanse of it mocked her. Lou's stare intensified into a glare, trying to burn holes through the offending piece of art supplies.

Finally, she sighed, dropped her arm, and placed the palette of paints, now starting to dry up, on the stool nearby.

She had been sitting there for at least an hour now, just staring at the canvas.

She only had a few days to complete her art class assignment.

The prompt: Chiaroscuro.

Lou knew what it was, she was an artist after all, and that particular technique comes up in almost all paintings. A good artist must know how to incorporate the correct lighting and shading into their paintings.

But the technique being the prompt itself?

Now that was tricky.

She needed something that would really show contrast, but would go together well too. She wanted to show that no shadows were born without light, and that light would lose purpose without shadows.

The question was: how?

She was not a stranger in depicting thoughts and emotions through her art. She was quite the professional! But right now, she was utterly, impossibly, absolutely, stuck.

Her brain had gone through a few ideas, of course, but all of them felt too normie, too bland, too...

Too empty...

Lou sighed, it was quite late now, perhaps she should get some sleep. Maybe once she's well rested, she'd think of something.

With that thought in mind, she got up from her perch in front of the easel, stretching like a cat, waiting to hear the satisfying pop.

BOOM!

Lou nearly jumped out of her skin, her stretching forgotten.

That most certainly was NOT a satisfying pop.

And her back had most certainly not produced that sound.

Then what-?

Something caught her eye and she dashed to her window, opening it wide.

There, a few buildings away, on a high rooftop, shadows fought against light. No-

Shadows fought alongside light.

She watched as strands of bright yellow wove around streaks of darkness...

Almost possessively.

The display was breathtaking, lighting up the horizon.

The shadows did nothing to harm the brightness of the light, nor did the light damage the depth of the shadows.

They were not clashing, as many people believed them to be. No, they were melding together, contrasting yet mixing, each one perfectly filling out the blanks in the other.

She knew that if she squinted hard enough, she would see two figures moving around nimbly, unified against a common enemy, fighting not against, but instead alongside each other.

But for now, she was content with watching the shadows defend the light, and the light defend the shadows.

A small voice whispered in the back of her head.

"Chiaroscuro..."

Chiaroscuro: The treatment of light and shade in drawing and painting. An effect of contrasted light and shadow created by light falling unevenly from a particular direction on something.

A/N: *peers around nervously and speaks in a small voice * so? How was it?

I'm asking both about the snippet of a chapter and the music. Does it fit?

Gosh I'm so anxious to see the feedback! First time posting music around!