Mountain Marvel

Peter Sam was working with Sir Handel. There was a lot of work to do and they had no time to lose; Miss Marvel, the famous storyteller, was coming to the island.

"I hear that the story is going to be about Proteus!" the other engines were saying.

"Hmm. I've never heard of this Proteus," puffed Sir Handel.

Peter Sam huffed, "It's a bit of a strange story." He told Sir Handel the legend of Proteus' magic lamp as they continued working.

Sir Handel was fascinated by this story but tried not to let it show too much.

"Quite a story," he huffed nonchalantly.

"Yes," whispered Peter Sam, who also found the legend quite exciting and let it show more. He was looking forward to hearing Miss Marvel's Proteus story.

When the two engines had finished shunting their empty trucks into place, they agreed they'd take a shortcut so that they could be on time for Miss Marvel's story.

"May I pull the train?" asked Sir Handel, not too forcefully.

"Of course," peeped Peter Sam. He was happy with being a back engine.

There was an old, overgrown track up ahead. The snow had melted by now but the trees and bushes still didn't have their leaves yet. The engines were sure they could spot any danger ahead of them if they took the track.

They pushed their way through the bare branches for a short while. Then, they spotted something up ahead.

"We'll have to stop," said Peter Sam.

They gradually slowed down. When he was closer to it, Sir Handel realised what it was.

"It's a rusty old statue," he puffed, "and it looks like..."

"Proteus!" exclaimed Peter Sam.

The two engines tried to move the statue but it wouldn't budge.

"We'll have to come back for it later," said Peter Sam, "it could be a really special surprise for everyone listening to Miss Marvel's story!"

Sir Handel knew Peter Sam was right. The two of them reversed back to the junction. They couldn't risk taking a shortcut now.

When the two engines made it to the incline, they were eager to tell everyone about what they had found.

"Everyone!" shouted Sir Handel, "I've found something! A statue of Proteus!"

Peter Sam lost a bit of his enthusiasm here. He was now more cross with Sir Handel than excited about the statue.

"I was there too!" he wheeshed.

"I thought ya didn't believe in the legend of Proteus," teased Duncan.

Everyone chuckled. Then, they started talking about the statue and asking questions about it. Sir Handel jumped at the opportunity to answer every question, leaving Peter Sam unable to get a word in edgeways.

Peter Sam felt upset. Sir Handel was being selfish and it seemed that no-one else even cared that he'd helped find the statue. They were all paying attention to Sir Handel as he talked about the statue.

Peter Sam was cross but he knew it wasn't worth it to argue with him. He silently puffed away to do his next job.

When he got to the yard, Duke was there. He had his own coaches to shunt.

"Hello, you!" Duke puffed fondly. Peter Sam managed a faint smile but nothing more. "What's the matter?"

Peter Sam told Duke everything that had happened.

"Well, it sounds to me like everyone is more excited about the statue than about who found it!" said Duke.

Unconvinced, Peter Sam said, "Sir Handel still made it sound like he found the statue by himself. And I still got made fun of when I said I helped. And..."

"Peter Sam," said Duke sternly. Peter Sam stopped talking and paid attention. "There are more important things than getting attention because you feel you did something to deserve it. Vanity and hard work do not mix."

Peter Sam sighed. He could see where Duke was coming from and he did have more hard work to do today. He puffed away, ready to focus on his work. As he did so, Duke had a thoughtful look on his face.

Peter Sam's line of coaches was soon ready. The little engine was doing his best not to be upset about the minor incident as he was getting coupled up and leaving the yard.

Time didn't exactly fly by. As Peter Sam pulled his passengers, he didn't speak to anyone (not even his driver and fireman). He was just admiring the scenery and thinking. As he did, he gradually calmed down.

When Peter Sam reached his final stop, he realised that he had completed his journey right on time. He could easily be on time for Miss Marvel's story.

"Well," wheeshed Peter Sam, "that's something to be happy about!" He now felt better about how the day had gone.

Just then, Rheneas came round the corner with his passenger train. He looked exhausted.

"Are you alright, Rheneas?" asked Peter Sam.

Rheneas whispered to Peter Sam so that no-one else would hear, "I'm feeling really tired. I'm not sure if something is wrong. I still have a way to go, though."

Peter Sam knew Rheneas' passengers had to get where they were going and couldn't be let down.

"I can take your passengers the rest of the way," he offered.

"No," huffed Rheneas, "I have to make it the rest of the way." His spirit was strong but he didn't seem strong enough to pull through.

"How about a compromise?" said Peter Sam, "I'll be your back engine!"

Rheneas smiled and accepted the help. Conveniently, his passengers were going to see Miss Marvel.

The two engines chattered as they puffed along. Soon, the passengers were joining in too. By the time they got to their destination, everyone was in a good mood and very relieved to be on time.

"Gallant old Rheneas," Duncan wheeshed quietly as the train arrived.

"And," puffed Rheneas with a smile, "gallant young Peter Sam."

Peter Sam was delighted.

"You did very well to pull through, Rheneas," he said, "be proud of yourself!" He then chuckled and added, "It was a good laugh too!"

Just then, Peter Sam saw Sir Handel puffing round the bend with the statue of Proteus.

The crowds of people were ecstatic when they saw the statue. They cheered for Sir Handel.

Sir Handel whistled for attention. Once everyone had fallen silent, he spoke loudly.

"I'd like to give a special thank you to Peter Sam here for helping me to find the statue," he boomed, "We make quite the team!"

Peter Sam was overjoyed when he received his own smattering of applause.

"It was your find too," murmured Sir Handel, "I'm sorry I tried to take all the credit."

"That's alright, Sir Handel," whispered Peter Sam, "and you know what, I'm sorry for getting so bent out of shape over it. Credit isn't everything."

He then glanced at the other engines. He spotted Duke. When Duke saw him and Sir Handel, he smiled and gave them a little wink.

Peter Sam chuckled as quietly as he could so that he wouldn't interrupt the story.