Chapter 8

The next day, Prudence woke up to find she was alone on the bed.She didn't think anything of it and proceeded to carry out her morning routine.But when she went down for breakfast and didn't hear anything cooking or find anything already on the table,she began calling out for Alex.

She called out to him several times but there was no response so she decided to search the house.She went into the kitchen and as she moved forward,she pumped into something and fell on top of something.A person.

She immediately began feeling the person's face with her hands as it was her way of seeing things and immediately realised it was Alex.But his body was cold.

"Alex",she called out to him but there was no response.

She tried again but there was still nothing.Then she shook him gently and still nothing.

"No.No no no no no.You can't do this to me,Alex.No!!Alex please wake up!!Please,Alex!! PLEASE!!", Prudence began crying out loud, violently shaking him to wake up.She wasn't ready to accept what her mind was telling her.

"Ma'am?",Ada called out rushing to the source of the cries she heard the moment she arrived at the house.

"Ada?Ada,please tell him to wake up.This isn't funny.Tell him to stop, please", Prudence pleaded wiping her tears which continued streaming down her face but Ada just stared at the scene in shock.

Alex was laying on the ground in a pool of his own blood with a blood knife by his side.It didn't take a genius to know he was dead.And Prudence was laying on top of him with parts of her covered in blood.

"Ada!!Do something!!", Prudence cried out snapping Ada out of her shocked state and she immediately called the police.

She quickly explained what she found then moved to help the still crying Prudence up.At this point,she was now crying too.And moments later the police arrived.

They took Alex's dead body and asked the two woman a few questions.Ada told them everything she saw and Prudence recounted hers still unable to believe her husband was dead.

She insisted on going to the hospital to wait as the doctors run some tests.Ada went with her for support and she asked her to call Louisa then tell her what happened.Louisa immediately rushed to the hospital in panic upon hearing the news and moments later,the test results were ready.

"I'm sorry to inform you ma'am but it seems your husband committed suicide",the police officer informed Prudence infront of the women and they all had completely different reactions.Which the officer took note of.

Prudence looked like she was living a nightmare which couldn't be true,Ada looked sad yet pitiful and Louisa looked like she was about to have a mental breakdown.She looked more miserable than Prudence which shocked the officer but he brushed it off thinking she's just a very emotional woman.

"No.My Alex would never leave me like this.He was killed", Prudence argued.

"I know it's hard to believe but the finger prints found on the knife belongs to him.And there were no signs of a struggle or break in so there's no other explanation.",the officer replied."I will need you to come down to the station to answer some questions"

"Fine but I know my husband.He was murdered", Prudence said firmly which effectively peeked the officer's interest.

"I'll take her home to freshen up then we'll meet you at the station in a few minutes",Ada said and began taking Prudence away while Louisa stayed behind still looking out of it.

"Are you ok, ma'am?",the officer asked her but she didn't reply.

Instead she just stood up and walked away.She went straight to a bar afterwards and drowned her pain in alcohol.She felt as if everything was just one very horrible nightmare she needed to wake up from.

She just couldn't believe that Alex was gone.She didn't understand why he'd want to take his own life.He wasn't sick,he was handsome,he was rich even though it was mostly Prudence's money and was following his dream of being an author.What motive could be possibly have had to kill himself.

It didn't make any sense to Louisa but she was too drunk to think and ended up being sent home by the bar owner who happened to be a friend of hers.As a matter of fact,it was the bar owner that helped her get the drug she used on Alex that faithful night.

Meanwhile, Prudence had just returned from the police station with Ada when she asked to be alone.Ada tried to persuade her to let her stick around a little longer in fear that she might hurt herself out of grief.But Prudence insisted she goes.

Alone, Prudence went up to the bedroom and just laid down touching the wedding ring on her finger.She began to reminisce about her life with Alex.They were so happy together that Prudence never expected things to turn out the way they did even in her wildest dreams.

She remembered the day they met.How she was instantly drawn to him at first sight.She remembered their first date.How he warmed her heart with his words and how sure he was that he loved her.She was sure he was too good to be true and it wouldn't last,but it did.

And he even took her to the alter.She remembered their wedding day like it was just yesterday.And what she remembered most of all how he was her rock when she lost all hope in life after losing her sight.

"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break.My bounty is as boundless as the sea.My love as deep,the move I give to thee,the more I have for both are infinite", Prudence murdered as her heart squeezed with pain.

"Why?"

A single tear slipped out of her eye.

"Why did you leave me,Alex?......."

Her lips trembled as tears began slipping out of her eyes.

"Why?"