Chapter 5: Joyboy

Arthur POV

What an idiot. My brother just toppled over like a bag of bricks after fighting someone weak. Something was up with him though. I had never heard of a disease that could make you laugh and make you resistant to stabs. 

Enough pondering, I have to rescue the slave that they captured. Where would they be? 

I looked around the carriage and found someone or something moving under a tarp. I carefully removed the tarp and found a little girl with silver hair, her eyes red from recently crying. 

Her hands were bound by rope and her long silver hair was messed up and rugged, some pieces being uneven like the hair was torn out. 

Arthur: It's okay. You can come out now. 

I whispered gently to the little girl who stopped crying. I helped her remove the ropes from her body, and she muttered a word of thanks, clearly not trusting me yet. 

Arthur: First, put this tarp over you and don't take it off until I say so. 

???: W-why? 

Arthur: We have to get away from here. The bad people might come back soon so please cooperate with me. 

She nodded and I placed the tarp over her. I hefted her onto my shoulder and surprisingly, she stayed quiet. I felt bad about lying to her but I'd rather lie that the slave traders were coming back rather than letting her see the dead bodies of them. 

What a brave little girl...

Now the real problem. Rimuru. 

Here he was, knocked out, his unnaturally long blue hair glistening in the light of the moon. I had to admit. He looked more like a girl than a boy. 

Rimuru: Ahahaha....

Laughing even in his sleep...What even was that power? 

I carried him by the waist and made it away from the carriage. I removed the tarp and the little girl was still there, trembling. 

???: T-thank y—

Arthur: Okay! Nice meeting you! I'm off no—!

The little girl tugged at my clothes, tears forming in her eyes, and her face seemed to be saying "Are you really going to leave a cute little girl like me out here in this scary forest?" written on it. 

Arthur: L-look, I need to get home too. Those Slav—bad guys won't chase you anymore so you can make it back home. 

She kept looking at me with the same expression. 

Arthur: B-besides! Aren't elves generally safe in this forest anyways? 

The little girl shook her head rapidly. 

???: Beasts are only scared of adults...My parents said that children will get eaten by hounds or tree golems... 

This girl's parent's are very troublesome. I mean how does a golem eat you?! Aren't they made out of steel?!

Arthur: Okay well do you at least know how long it'll take to get to where you live from here? 

???: I-i don't know... 

She looked away, not even ashamed. 

Arthur: You're kidding me...I have to carry Rimuru and guide you? 

I sighed, knowing I wasn't going to get out of this situation. 

Arthur: Just stay here for now okay?