05.

𝑩𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒆 𝑫𝒂𝒗𝒊𝒅𝒔𝒐𝒏
The Guy on the third Floor
𖣘ꨄ❤︎

When my Uber arrived, I knew it was time to leave. I said goodbye to Chad, promising to catch up with him the next day, before heading out.

Since the incident with Reece, I hadn't returned to the dorm room. Instead, I had been staying with Serena for the past week. Although she had generously offered me a place to stay for as long as I needed, I didn't want to take advantage of her kindness. A week felt like a reasonable length of time, even though I dreaded the thought of going back to the dorm room. I was determined not to overstay my welcome, regardless of Serena's insistence.

I couldn't believe I was heading back. The thought of it made me want to throw a tantrum, but I knew it would be pointless. As I arrived on campus and made my way to the room, I couldn't shake the feeling of dread. I've never once referred to it as "my room" or "our room." Doing so would suggest that I actually liked it there, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I showed my ID to the security guard before walking down the all-too-familiar hallway. Each step felt heavier than the last. Entering the elevator, I pressed the button for the second floor. As the doors opened, a wave of depression hugged me. I was really back.

I slowly made my way until I stood before room 217. Taking a deep breath, I knocked three times, waiting for some sort of indication that it was safe to step inside. When I didn't hear anything, I took that as my cue to take my chance. Pressing the keycard against the lock, I opened the door slowly.

As I stepped inside, I saw Reece on her bed, lost in her own world with music blasting in her ears. It seemed like my knocking had gone unnoticed, drowned out by the loud music.

A few glances around I noticed that she had finally taken out her garbage, removed the dirty dishes, picked up her clothes from the floor, and, unbelievably, she had even changed her sheets for the first time since she moved in. But despite her efforts, the room still reeked of weed and, to put it bluntly, rubber - and by rubber, I meant condoms. At this point, I was starting to think that the air in this room was permanently tainted, and there was little hope of it ever smelling fresh again.

When she finally noticed me, she immediately removed her earphones. It was clear that this was the first time she might have felt bad about her actions. The remorse was evident on her face, and I could tell that she had even attempted her version of cleaning up because of it.

"Hey," she said awkwardly.

"Hey" I said dryly as I unpacked my things.

"Look, I really feel bad about everything and for you to basically go mia for days, I know it was bad. I know my words may not carry any value but I'm truly sorry"

I sighed, this was hard. She has apologized before but this time felt different you could see it in her face and hear it in her voice.

"It's okay, Reece," I replied, trying to sound forgiving. "I appreciate you saying that. It means a lot."

Reece nodded, a hint of relief evident in her expression. "Thanks," she said softly. "I'll try to do better, I promise."

"Okay," I said, offering her a small smile.

"I'm about to do a line, do you want one?" She asked, and END SCENE. I know she didn't just offer me coke as if it was her way of a peace offering.