✦Something's not right✦

Before reaching the cafeteria, Kamari, Jordan, and Darius stopped the others, recognizing their discomfort with being around so many strangers.

"Aye," Kamari began, "I know being around people ain't easy for us, but we gotta just deal with it for now,"

Despite their apprehensions, they all agreed to at least be civil if spoken to.

With Haven leading the way, they entered the cafeteria talking amongst themselves. Though the noise and chaos of the crowded room was already annoying they just had to endure for a short bit.

As they waited in line for their turn to get food, the group's anticipation for a satisfying meal quickly turned to disappointment as they reached the front and were met with a less-than-appetizing spread. The options before them were a far cry from the filling, edible dishes they had hoped for.

On the menu was bland and overcooked "food", including limp, unseasoned vegetables, dry and flavorless chicken breast, and watery mashed potatoes that resembled glue. The smell of old cooking oil lingered in the air, adding to the overall sense of disappointment.

Despite their hunger, the group made a face, their appetites dampened by the unappetizing fare before them. With a collective sigh, they sat down in silence, mainly out of shock that they had the audacity to feed people this.

Dante grimaced as he surveyed the shit before him, "Man what the fuck is this? I know I ain't wait in line for this shit,"

Melissa scrunched up her face, her stomach swirling at the sight, "Yeah, this shit worse than school food, oh no ma'am this not gon' work. We need to come up with a plan for food,"

Lyric frowned, pushing her tray aside, "No, I'm not finna eat this shit,"

Jordan chimed in, "They real fucked up for this,"

Kai glanced around the cafeteria, noting that the only people eating without hesitation were the ones who looked malnourished and starved.

"We...won't have to eat this right?" He quietly asked Kamari.

Kamari turned to him, "No, we won't, I'll make sure we don't go hungry," She promised.

Dante glanced around then lowered his voice, "Whoever ends up a scavenger should sneak back food for us,"

With the same mindset that whatever happens to everyone else doesn't concern them, Dante's suggestion to steal food for the group was met with a chorus of agreement.

"Yeah, I'm down for that," Haven nodded.

"We just can't get caught,"

"We'll probably only get kicked out anyway," Sha'vante shrugged.

"Nah," Kamari spoke up.

"Look at how they're feeding us, remember how all the grocery stores we stopped at nearby were nearly emptied? This is the only place that can store all of that without wasting it, they're more than capable of feeding us better food," Jordan said dryly.

"They're giving us this bullshit on purpose, probably to starve us into submission. The weaker we are physically the weaker we are mentally. We can eat the food and get our physical strength back, but mentally? It'll take more time and that'll make us easier to control, look at how much we outnumber them," Darius spoke.

"Yeah, they have the weapons but look at how shit went with the barricades a few months ago. There's no way they wouldn't be worried about having a bunch of us in this facility. They wouldn't unless they had a way to keep us in check right? People like them can't be trusted and will do anything to get rid of anything that threatens their power," Kamari finished.