• ☾ Chapter 11 | Sweet Butterfly ☽ •

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Giyuu's POV ~

• . _________________ . •

I slashed the head off of the demon, I watched as its body crumbled into ash, small pieces of ash flew off into the night sky and became one with the stars. My head rose and I looked upwards, my gaze sinking into the beauty of the night sky, black as obsidian and twinkling like diamonds. My gaze hardened, on beautiful nights like these, demons were out ripping the flesh out of a human. I had slaughtered many demons tonight, my skin is sliced, my eyelids are heavy, my throat is parched, and my body is cold. Every night feels like this, and I've only gotten used to it. This is the fate I chose for myself, this is what I have to do to save others, I will not fail my duty.

Himejima's daughters are currently living in my home with me. I remember I had found Kanae Kochō—the eldest of the four— and the other two out where the now burnt village used to be. Many villagers were there as well, drinking from the rain and collecting anything of theirs they could find. Many people had died, and from the information the other demon slayers and Oyakata-sama had gathered, it was most likely the cause of a demon. We'd have to be on the lookout. But anyway, I found them mourning out in the forest, where their house used to be, it was burnt and the roof had collapsed. I recognized the girls and they recognized me too, and began to talk to me. It was awkward but I got more information. I remember when they told me that they had lost Shinobu, and I still can't explain it, but I felt pure worry form in my chest, eating me up as I pictured the imagery of her burning in the flames. I found her a few weeks later, malnourished as she walked through the deep forest. Relief had washed over me, she was cut down and bruised, she was dirty and famished and looked sad, I saw her eyes and how they sparkled with tears. She's safe now, I hope. When I left, I saw her drinking tea and reading a book, it was nice seeing her smile again, I missed it when she was gone.

A sigh releases from my lips and I look down to the ground, blood splattered down and soaking into the dirt. There was nothing more to do, the demons had been slaughtered with the katana I held in my scarred hand. There's nothing more I can do but go home. And so I leave.

I swipe my katana to throw the blood droplets off and then I sheathe it down to protect it. My eyes glow dark blue and I walk through the forest. It's lonely, it's empty, it's dark, and it's cold. I'm unsure what time it is, and all I know is that the moon is high in the hair and glowing beautifully, showering light over us all. Even though the night is beautiful, and I get to go home, all I can do is frown and feel bitterness and sadness well up into my soul, spreading throughout me as it takes away who I was once, I won't ever that be a jubilant boy again, I've already changed, and I can't go back to the past no matter how much I try to escape the present. I'm trapped here, like a fly to a web. I want nothing more but to see Tsutako nee-san, Sabito, and Makomo. Why does everyone I love have to leave so early?