6. Alone Now

Stepping off the plane in New York was an instant relief. The solid ground beneath my feet provided a welcomed stability, and the unease from the flight dissipated. It became evident that flying wasn't my preferred mode of travel, as the ground offered a reassuring sense of connection that the skies could not provide.

Gazing upward, a breath escapes me as I take in the breathtaking sight. "It's beautiful," I murmur, captivated by the city's skyline. A subtle hum from Huening Kai acknowledges his appreciation for the view. Despite the enchanting scene, he brings us back to reality with a reminder, "We should probably go because I'm pretty sure our class is gone."

Snapping out of the reverie, I notice everyone gathered at the crossing. As we approach, one kid persistently presses the traffic button, prompting the automated voice to repeatedly say, "Wait, wait, wait." Huening Kai, displaying his characteristic impatience, grumbles, "Oh my god, can you shut up?" The kid stops, muttering a discontented "jeez."

Overhearing the staff discussing hotel arrangements, a sudden realization hits me—I forgot to include my room request on the form. Oops. The anticipation of the trip now tinged with the uncertainty of accommodations.

We reach the other side, and I jog over to our classmates. The staff continues discussing logistics, mentioning the hotel arrangements. It's then that the teacher notices me, "Soobin, did you include your room request?"

My heart sinks, and I sheepishly admit, "I... forgot." The teacher sighs but assures me that they'll do their best to sort it out. As we move towards the awaiting buses, my mind races with thoughts of the adventure awaiting us in the city that never sleeps.

The buses are lined up, ready to take us to our destination. I find an empty seat and settle in, Huening Kai taking a seat beside me. The hum of excited chatter fills the air as we embark on this school trip to explore the iconic cityscape.

The journey through the city streets is a visual feast, skyscrapers towering above, and the rhythm of New York life pulsating through every corner. I catch glimpses of landmarks and bustling neighborhoods, each with its own unique character.

We arrive at the hotel, and as I step off the bus, the grandeur of our accommodation leaves me awestruck. The lobby is adorned with elegant decor, and there's a palpable sense of anticipation among the students.

The hotel lobby buzzes with the energy of excited students eager to explore the city. A staff member hands out room keys, and the anticipation in the air is palpable. As I approach the table to receive my key, I notice a slight frown forming on the clerk's face. She gestures to a list on her clipboard and mentions, "It seems there was a minor mix-up with the room assignments. You'll be sharing a room with Huening Kai."

The announcement catches me off guard, and I exchange a puzzled glance with Huening Kai. I can feel a slight blush creeping up my cheeks, and I clear my throat, trying to maintain composure. "Is there any way to change it?" I inquire hesitantly.

The clerk checks the list again and shakes her head apologetically. "I'm afraid all the other rooms are already assigned. It's just for a few days, and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work."

I take a deep breath and nod, suppressing any lingering embarrassment. As Huening Kai and I make our way to the assigned room, there's an unspoken tension between us. The door opens, revealing a well-appointed room, a small sitting area, and a view of the city below.

Huening Kai offers a casual shrug, "Well, it looks like we're roommates for the trip. Let's make the best of it." His nonchalant demeanor puts me at ease, and a subtle smile forms on my face as we settle into our temporary shared space.