Chapter 7

The new term had begun, and some first years were starting. There were Sybil Hallow, Clarice Crow, and Beatrice bunch. There was also a new teacher, called Miss Mould. Miss Cackle started her speech when they heard screaming. It was a new girl called Ivy Dixson, and she crashed into the tower.

They saw the tower crumble to the ground. All the teacher gasped. Miss Cackle, Miss Drill, and Mr. Algernon Rowan-Webb went to the tower and saw a red glowing light coming from the floor. Algernon picked it up and found out it was the founding stone for the school. They put the founding stone in a room for everyone to see. That night Sybil stole the founding stone, hoping no one would notice, but that afternoon the teachers saw that it was gone. Sybil tried to take it back but saw the teachers talking, so she went to her room and made a plan.

But the plan didn't go to plan. She accidentally set her room on fire, Miss Hardbroom and Miss Cackle quickly put it out. That night Sybil told Mildred what she did, so Mildred grabbed it from Sybil's room and put it back without anyone noticing. The teacher was excited to see it back and saw Mildred next to it. She made up the lie that she found in a cupboard and put it back where it belonged. After the students had their breakfast, they went to their first class.

Mildred had art with Ethel, Drusilla, Maud, Enid, and Felicity. Miss Mould got them to do their family tree when Mildred saw her mother on the tree, and she started to think about her. She didn't know when she would wake up from her coma. Mildred didn't realize she was crying until she felt water droplets on her hand, so she grabbed her art stuff and ran out of the classroom. Hecate found out from Maud that Mildred ran from her art class crying, so Hecate went looking for her. Hecate found Mildred sitting on a bench outside crying. She walked over to her, sat down, and held Mildred while she cried.

After Mildred had finished crying, she and Hecate walked back inside, holding hands. Mildred went to her other classes. Mildred and Hecate spent some of the night talking about how Mildred was feeling, then they both went to sleep in their rooms. The next day when Mildred walked into the art room, she saw that Miss Cackle and the Great Wizard were on her tree. She smiled and thought of the bond they had with her. Ethel decided she would use the founding stone to give Esmerelda her powers back. She took the stone and hid it in a chest in her room.

She then put a barrier up so anyone who entered can get out except for Esmerelda. If she went in, she couldn't get out. Sybil walked into the room. She heard someone coming and climbed out of the window and onto the roof. Esmerelda walked into the room, opened the chest, saw the founding stone, left the stone, and was going to walk out but heard Sybil calling for help. She took the stone out and took the magic from the stone so she could save Sybil.

Ethel and Mildred walked into the room, looked down at the founding stone, and saw that it was black. Miss Drill was outside walking when she looked up and saw the towers covered in ice. Miss Drill ran inside and told everyone about the towers. Miss Cackle told the students and teachers to leave the academy. Mildred went to her family tree after all the Hallow ancestors left and didn't give her and Ethel the answers they needed. Mildred found out she came from a witching family when Mirabelle Hubble told her what she had done.