Chapter 8

Over the holidays, Mildred had her 17th birthday (she was 16 when Miss Pentangle came to the school, and the founding stone was restored.) Hecate gave Mildred a turquoise necklace and ring set, Ada gave Mildred a purple robe, the Great Wizard gave her a turquoise robe, and the teachers each gave her a book except Miss Drill, who gave her a purple and turquoise broomstick.

Mildred also visited her mother, who was still in a coma. She told her mother all about the term she had and was hoping she would hear her. One afternoon Hecate, Ada, and the Great Wizard even went with Mildred when she visited her mother. Mildred was walking outside around the academy when she started to feel several eyes looking at her, and she started to get scared, she didn't know who was watching her. Hecate could feel that Mildred was scared, so she transferred herself to Mildred.

She saw Mildred looking around, so she went up to her.

"Mildred love, what's wrong?" Hecate said. 

Mildred looked at her and hugged her.

"I can feel several eyes on me." Mildred said.

Hecate stood protectively in front of Mildred, looking around. When she couldn't see anyone, she turned around and hugged Mildred, then transferred them inside. Ada and the Great Wizard talked to the teachers when they saw Hecate transferring into the room, hugging Mildred to her. Hecate and Mildred looked at everyone and saw how tensed Hecate was looking.

"Ada, we need to teach Mildred some protection spells. She told me she felt several eyes on her when she was outside walking." Hecate said.

Ada looked at Mildred and saw how scared she looked. Everyone walked up to Mildred and hugged her. Ada, the Great Wizard, and teachers all agreed and started tomorrow in the morning. That night Mildred didn't want to sleep alone, so she sneaked into Hecate's room and climbed into bed next to her. Hecate felt her get in, and she wrapped her arms protectively around Mildred. Mildred felt safe that she fell asleep straight away. When Hecate woke up that morning, she saw Mildred in her arms, smiled, and woke Mildred up with a kiss.

Mildred got up and went to her room to get dressed. Hecate was waiting outside Mildred's room, grabbed her hand, and walked together down to the dining hall. Ada, the Great Wizard, and teachers showed Mildred some protective spells that she tried and got right her first go. Hecate even taught Mildred to transfer so that she didn't feel safe. She could transfer away from danger.That afternoon Mildred wanted to see her mother, so everyone agreed since she knew how to transfer away. When she got to the hospital, she walked into her mother's room and started talking to her. When all of a sudden, her mother stopped breathing. The doctors and nurses all rushed into the room and pushed Mildred out of the room.

Mildred watched as they tried to bring her mother back with tears in her eyes. Hecate was with the teachers, Ada, and the Great Wizard when she felt this rush of sadness go through and knew it was Mildred. Everyone watched as Hecate transferred away when Hecate got to the hospital and went to Julie's room. When she got there, she saw Mildred outside.