Chapter 1: Long Live

Once again this 'absolute masterpiece' was not made by me. I don't have an account name for this person, but I was told to refer to him as Ethan. ANYWAY, read. Anything from this point will not be mine. None of the A/N's either, except if they're at the top and i say there mine.

Breath in, Breath through, Breathe deep, Breath out" -Taylor Swift

This story starts a little under a year before Divergent Book One starts

Claire's POV

I lay in bed for a long time. I couldn't sleep yet it was only 6:00. After a while I sit up in my bed and looked out the window. The clouds are gray over the long rows of crops. I was never meant to be here. I feel the quilted blanket under me one last time before I get up and walk over to my dresser. I have to stare at everything in there before choosing what to wear, not that it matters. I decided to wear a soft yellow long-sleeve shirt with red denim jeans. As I walk out of my room, I'm already yearning to go back. I walk into the kitchen where I see my brother, James. He is cooking eggs on the stove. He moved in with me ever since they found out about my attempt.

"Good morning Claire," James said cheerfully. "Morning" I mumbled. I sat down at the table feeling sort of awkward. The cold tile that runs through the kitchen and dining area feels cold against my feet. "You know", I say, "You don't have to make me breakfast all the time". James bounced back with "It's my pleasure, it's what we do". He sets down a plate with fluffy scrambled eggs in front of me. I take a bite, yet it still tastes bland. I think about what I am going to do today. I planned on being a therapist, until I shattered. Now that leaves a few options that all sound terrible. Today I will be going to Amity headquarters where they will assign today's farming tasks.

I get assigned that today I will be picking and gathering strawberries near the fence. The morning air smells like dirt. When i'm out there with a basket, I think about my decision. How every decision I could have made was the worst option. I didn't choose this life. I dreamed of getting out, getting to another faction. I always dreamed of going to Dauntless or Candor or somewhere where life could be fun. I couldn't bear the idea of leaving my parents and brother and, most importantly, Him. Little did I know all that would fall apart.

I'm about to tug on a strawberry when I see a car coming in. It's blue. Erudite blue. Something about Erudite has always bothered me ever since about a month or two ago. It strides down the road making everything feel less calm and more contemporary. I wonder what they are doing here. When it's my lunch break, I head to the main cafeteria. There I go over to the place I always do for lunch, Ruben's Sandwiches.

(not me relying on autocorrect)