Chapter 6: The Beginning

"You told me I was pretty when I looked like a mess" -Taylor Swift

Claire's POV:

I go downstairs and ask Mrs. Slutherland if I can go to the farm behind the house. She bounced back with "Of course just don't step on the plants". I go out in the orchard of trees. I don't know why but I felt like climbing one. I chose the largest one in the back and climbed it limb by limb. I have been feeling more accepting since I came here. I lean against the main trunk and look down. I climbed a good 15 feet in the air. Then I saw him. Jeremiah walks through the grass with his fluffy blond hair. I almost forgot about his drawing of me.

"Hey," he says. I waved back to him. "You should come up here" I offered. I wanted company. He began to climb much faster than I did. He probably did this before. He sits on a branch across from me. "Did you happen to take one of my granola bars from me?" I felt embarrassed. "I'm just kidding I think they're mid" I sighed in relief. I try to think of something to say. Then I know. "Eva left her door open and I saw a journal in bright letters that says diary. I read it and it said that she was jealous of your mini golf skills". He chuckled. "Ya I read it too. She actually leaves it there hoping someone reads it" That way she can't be called out for being annoying". I laughed too.

I peer over the ground and fall forward. I extend my arms but I can't reach anything. I instantly started to panic. Then Jeremiah grabbed my hand and pulled me up to the branch next to him. I sat there catching my breath. "You're definitely not Dauntless". We laughed together. Then I feel a pang and remember, remember how I wish I was a Dauntless or Candor. I and Jeremiah are the same age, I guess I never noticed him at the initiation. We talked for a while about how annoying Eva is and about the annoying teachers at school. We didn't have a lot of the same teachers, let alone the same periods, but it was nice talking about the ones we did have. "Eva is such a pick me", I say, Even worse than Mrs. Washer". Jeremiah excitedly said, "I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!"

We climbed down the tree together and walked back to the house for dinner. I'm glad to have a friend here. I already think of the fun things we can do tomorrow. I know I like him, I just don't know in what way.