Chapter 3: Gone

He was sunshine, I was midnight rain" -Taylor Swift

Claire's POV

The next few days ran together. It was probably four or five days since I saw the Erudite. I stayed away from Ruben's because of that dumb Erudite. I have been ignoring James more recently. I know as an older brother, it's his job to protect me but I hate to see him have to do this. I know I can never be happy, And I will never be happy in a place where everyone has to be happy. I was walking through the food court when I heard someone talking on the phone inside the janitor's closet. It was the Erudite boy. "I did what you asked," he said. "I heard there will be more of them" Then there was a short pause. "Ok, I will" then he put down the phone. Before he came out, I shot around and kept walking so he wouldn't think I heard. Then I continued down to my and my brother's home. I walked in and started complaining. "I saw the Erudite fool again. What is he even doing here?" The house was eerie and quiet. "James," I said. "JAMES?!" I was yelling now. James would never not respond. I started looking around when I saw it. There was a trail of blood leading out the backdoor. I paused, then felt my head start to wilt. My brother was kidnapped.

My face was hot with tears. "Why?!" I yelped. And when they came, I felt even worse. He left without a trace. No evidence at all. He didn't deserve this. James was so good to me, even when I wasn't. And it was my fault. Why did I leave him here alone so often?

I

Can't

Breathe

They decided that I shouldn't be left alone, since my attempt. They gave me the serum, but it didn't work to make me happier. It never does. After a while, the leaders told me I would be moving in with the Sutherlands. They said they always welcome new people to help them. One of the leaders took me to their house. It was grand with a rap around porch. The house had a triangle roof, but with other parts of the house branching off. I never knew you could make so much money being a therapist. I felt a pang in my side at the thought. I wish I were them. We walked in and were greeted by a four-person family. The house was warm and well-decorated. The dad was tall and did most of the talking. "I'm Mr.Sutherland. Our home is your home." He gestured to a woman who I presume to be his wife. "I am Mrs.Sutherland." Her voice was kind. "I'm Jeremiah," a boy said. He had brown hair, though it was messy. "Hi, My name is Eva and I'm pleased to meet you!" She claimed. She felt fake. I sort of made an awkward smile and tried to speak but no words came out. Then I heard someone upstairs. They came to the top where we could see them. It was the Erudite boy Again. I hate him showing up in my life like this. Thinking he is better than everyone.

We look at each other and we both are very tense. It starts to get awkward. Then Mrs.Sutherland spoke up. "Here I will show you in your room. We went up the stairs, past Him. Then we walked down the hall and up another flight of stairs. The attic bedroom. It was a large room with dark wood floors. It had a queen-sized bed and a window with a bench. It all feels so comforting. For a second I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time: Relief. It went away when I remembered my brother. "Thank you," I said. Mrs. Sutherland responded with "Oh it's fine. By the way, me and everyone else will be out tomorrow morning it will be just you and Owen here." I assumed Owen was the Erudite I saw on the stairs. Tomorrow morning will suck. I bring myself to say "Ok".