Chapter 8: Happy Little Lives

"I lose myself in a daydream" -Taylor Swift

Claire's POV:

I wake up and go downstairs. I hear Jeremiah in the kitchen. The morning is cold but I feel better knowing I have a friend. I sit at the table. Jeremiah turns around and says "Good morning, I made you eggs". He set a plate down in front of me. Eggs remind me of my brother, out there somewhere, but this time they are fried instead of scrambled. I began to eat. They were good. Really good. After that stuff blurred together. We walked and played around in the backyard. We climbed trees and ate mint leaves straight off the plant. It felt like I had never been so happy. Then Jeremiah went inside and brought out a picnic basket and a blanket and there we had a feast. Then I realized that me and Jeremiah were made for this. The sun shone bright on our faces.

Later we went inside and talked for a while sitting on Jeremiah's bed. I told him all about my ex and my brother. I let him in. We were best friends after all. Then late at night, I was stumbling down the hallway. Owen looked at me disturbed, but he always does. Then I lay in bed. I fell into a deep sleep. The next day I noticed how fast me and Jeremiah became close. After breakfast, it doesn't feel so weird. That day we did the same thing and the food Jeremiah made was even better than before. We stayed up late as last night. When I walked over to my bed, I fell onto it and fell asleep before even changing.

The next morning I wake up and see Owen. He sighed in relief. "What are you doing in my room?. Why are you here?" I accused. Owen shook his head and then said "You've been asleep for three days straight. You fell asleep after your days with Jeremiah. We called the doctors and they said you would be fine and to let you rest." I ran this through my head. Me and Jeremiah for two days, asleep for three after that. I felt guilty for missing so much of the week even though I was unconscious. I felt embarrassed. Owen went downstairs, and I lay in bed, hesitant to go talk to anyone.