Chapter 1. 1812 

Charles. "Miss Rochester, I am so sorry to have to do this, but it must be done. My wife is beginning to grow incredibly jealous. You have been a wonderful worker here, but I cannot ruin my marriage."
Olivia Rochester nodded, gazing at Baron Grafton. She knew that the Baroness wasn't pleased with the fact that a beautiful young lady was a servant at Grafton Park. She folded her hands in her lap. "I understand my Lord. Thank you for allowing me to work for you these last five months."
Charles nodded. "You are welcome."
Olivia. "Will I still receive my monthly allowance of 1500 pounds?"
Charles nodded, pulling out his pocketbook. "Yes, absolutely." he removed three notes from his pocketbook, each one containing 500 pounds, and handed them to her.
Olivia took the three carefully folded notes and placed them into her purse. She gave him a soft smile. "Thank you for everything my Lord. If it was not for you, I don't believe my life would have turned out the way it did."
Charles smiled. "You are very welcome. Again, I apologize for having to let you go."
Olivia shook her head. "There is no need to apologize. I am not one to ruin a marriage."
Charles. "Thank you."
Rising from her seat, Olivia made her way to her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Her blue green eyes traveled around the small but comfortable room she had been occupying for the last five months. She was grateful to the Baron for taking her in when he did. Otherwise, she would have been left on the streets.
Olivia took a breath, walking over to the large glass window overlooking the countryside. Her heart felt heavy, not only because she was leaving her employment, but because of the situation that brought her to that employment. Her parents had both passed away from a deadly outbreak of scarlet fever, leaving her in the unwanted company of her cousin, George Rochester.
Olivia closed her eyes, trying to forget the images of George strolling into Rochester Park, the childhood home she had grown up in, and take it from her. Because she was a girl, she was unable to inherit the house. However, she was able to inherit her mother's jewelry, and that was much more important to her.
The knock on the bedroom door had Olivia's eyes snapping open. Turning her head, she came face-to-face with Margaret. She swallowed, plastering a smile on her face. "Hello my lady."
Margaret rolled her eyes. "You have not left."
Olivia. "I will be leaving shortly."
Margaret. "Good, because I hope to never see your face in this house again. You do realize you nearly ruined my marriage to Charles."
Olivia shook her head. "Your husband was very kind to me my lady. He did not do anything unwanted."
Margaret snorted. "Is that right?"
Charles came up behind her, taking her hand. "It is true my love. Miss Rochester and I have a very professional relationship, nothing more."
Margaret. "Good, I'm glad to hear that. Goodbye Miss Rochester."
Olivia watched as the baroness turned and left the room, dragging her husband behind her. Taking a breath, she grabbed her purse that held the money she earned, slid a dark blue cloak over her shoulders, and stepped out of the estate. She shivered as the cold February air blue across her skin. She exhaled with relief as a carriage came up a few minutes later.
The footman stepped out of the coach, walking around and opening the door for her. He extended one grimy hand, sneering at her. "Payment first."
Olivia grimmest, knowing full well that Mr. Colton wasn't one to wait. She gave him 2 pounds from the money she had put aside for carriage payments. She climbed inside the vehicle, her heart hammering as Colton closed the door with a cackle.
Colton climbed into the drivers seat. "Rochester Park then? I'm sure your cousin is waiting for you."
Olivia sighed. "Yes, that is correct."
A few minutes later, the carriage arrived to Rochester Park. It was not a large estate like Grafton Park, but it was quite the spectacle. It was composed of dark Greystone with white trim, had three stone steps leading up to the front door, and possessed a lovely garden that went around the entire estate.
Colton stepped out of the carriage and walked around to open Olivia's door. He sneered at her. "Good luck to you wench."
Olivia ignored him, climbing out of the carriage and walking past him. Climbing up the three stone steps, she knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.
The door opened moments later, revealing George standing in the doorway. He smiled smugly. "Hello cousin. Back so soon?"
Olivia rolled her eyes, walking past him and entering the house. "I am back for a few days cousin, and then I am leaving again. I have come to give you what you asked, and then I am seeking new employment."
George closed the door behind him. "New employment? What happened at Grafton Park?"
Olivia pulled out the notes from her purse. "Nothing, except the Baroness was jealous."
George burst out laughing without a trace of humor. "The Baroness was jealous of you? Why, you're nothing special."
Olivia tried to ignore the sting of his words. "The baron believed it was best. Besides, I didn't want to come between him and his wife."
George snorted. "Well, it seems I have no choice but to allow you to stay here."