Chapter 10. 1812 

On a clear and brilliant morning toward the beginning of April, Olivia was enjoying a plate of scones with a cup of tea, when she heard Julian enter the breakfast room. She turned and smiled at him. "Good morning."
Julian returned her smile. "Good morning to you."
Olivia. "Would you like me to pour you a cup of tea?"
Julian. "In a moment, i'd like you to come with me. I have a surprise for you."
Olivia. "And what is this surprise?"
Julian extended his hand. "You will find out soon."
Taking his hand, Olivia stood up from her seat and followed him upstairs. She was intrigued to find out what was in store for her. Her curiosity only grew as they entered her bedroom.
Julian. "Close your eyes my dear."
Olivia closed her eyes without complaint, allowing him to guide her over to the closet. What was in there? Her curiosity was peaked even further as she opened the closet door.
Julian. "All right, you may open your eyes now."
Olivia opened her eyes and gasped as she saw what was before her. "Your grace..."
Hanging perfectly on either side of the closet was a collection of 20 exquisite gowns. The colors ranged from pastel to jewel tones. The material was comprised of silk satin and velvet. The sleeves were off the shoulder, the neck lines composed of either square scoop or sweetheart. Five bodices had pearls, five had beating, and five had crystals. The waist line was Empire style, the skirts full.
Julian. "Do you like them my dear?"
Olivia. "They are beautiful Julian, thank you."
Julian. "I'm glad you like them. I made sure every single one of them was perfect."
Olivia giggled. "They are breathtaking. However, am I really to wear 20 different dresses to 20 different occasions here in London?"
Julian chuckled. "No, you are not required to do so. And, not all of them will be here in London. 10 of them will be going to my country estate, Sinclair Castle."
Olivia. "Oh, I see. So I will have 10 of them here?"
Julian. "Yes. You may go through and pick which ones you would like to keep here and which ones will be sent to Sinclair Castle."
Olivia stepped forward, taking his hands and giving them a gentle squeeze. She smiled softly. "You have been nothing but kind to me these last six weeks Julian, I cannot tell you how appreciative I am of that."
Julian smiled back, reaching out and caressing her cheek. "I want to make sure that you are well taken care of."
Olivia. "That is very kind of you."
Julian brushed her knuckles with a soft kiss. "Are we still attending the ball at Vivian's this evening?"
Olivia's eyes brightened. "We certainly are. The question is, which of my new gowns do I wear?"
Julian chuckled. "I believe one of the jewel toned ones with the crystals on the bodice would be perfect."
Olivia giggled. "Wonderful, I just need to pick the right one."
Julian. "You can pick the proper one out later this afternoon. For now, why don't we return to the breakfast room and enjoy that tea and scones?"
Olivia. "I agree."
Closing the double doors of the closet, they turned and returned downstairs to the breakfast room. Taking their seats, they enjoyed their breakfast while chatting about that evening's ball. They had no idea just how special that night would be.
***
That same evening, Olivia was standing in the ballroom of Morgan Park, having a very animated conversation with Vivian and Delilah. Her chosen gown was comprised of rich dark turquoise velvet with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline with iridescent crystals on the bodice. Her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls along her left shoulder, and matching dark turquoise slippers completed her ensemble.
Delilah. "Sadly I have not yet found my perfect match."
Vivian squeezed her hand. "Don't you fret my dear, I know the right gentleman will show eventually. Not at this ball, but perhaps the next one."
Delilah. "I hope you're right."
Olivia. "Have you had any other successful matches?"
Vivian shook her head. "Not yet, but I do have this entire season to put my matchmaking skills to good use."
The three women burst into giggles, knowing Vivian would find perfect ladies to match with perfect gentleman. Turning their heads, they noticed Julian making his way toward them, a smile on his face.
Vivian smiled at him. "Are we taking too much of your precious Olivia's time your grace?"
Julian chuckled. "No, not at all. However, I do need to speak with Miss Rochester alone."
Delilah smiled, nudging Olivia. "Go on, we won't keep you any longer."
Vivian nodded fervently. "Go ahead my dear."
Smiling, Olivia excused herself and stepped toward Julian. Placing her gloved hand into his, she allowed him to escort her out of the ballroom and onto the terrace. "What is it that you need to speak to me about?"
Julian brought them under a wall of climbing wisteria and roses. He took her hands, his eyes fixed with hers. "There is something important I wish to tell you."