Chapter 4. 1812 

Your Grace,
I require the 4000 pound payment you promised me this evening. I will say that, during our four month rendezvous, I did enjoy being the talk of the ton. Unfortunately, your efforts to make love to me were not what I desired. You are much too gentle with your approach, as if I am a porcelain doll on the verge of breaking. I assure you, I am no such thing. I will see you on the steps of my estate.
Lydia
Lord Julian Sinclair, the Duke of Richmond, felt a wave of emotions flow through him. He was furious, humiliated, hurt and betrayed. It was quite clear Miss Lydia Carpenter wasn't the mistress he desired.
Julian ran his hand through his dark brown hair, closing his deep green eyes and exhaling. He believed Lydia cared for him as he had for her. However, it was quite clear that wasn't the case.
Picking up Lydia's letter, Julian crumpled it into a ball and threw it into the fire. Picking up the notebook that lay on his desk in his office, he pulled out a stack of four 1000 pound notes. If this would get Lydia out of his life, then so be it. Pulling on his coat, he stepped out of Richmond Park and climbed into the carriage that was waiting for him.
As the carriage drove to the home Julian had purchased for Lydia, images of their brief rendezvous flashed through his mind. He was under the impression he was a wonderful lover to her, but it was evident she felt differently. He growled, closing his eyes and rubbing his face. The bloody harlot, he thought.
Once the carriage arrived to the cottage, Julian stepped out and walked up the three stone steps to the front door. He knocked on it three times and waited for someone to answer. Fortunately, he didn't have to wait long.
The door opened, and Lydia stood in the doorway. Her dark brown hair was fixed into a bun, her yellow green eyes shining like those of a cat. Without a word, she extended her hand.
Glaring at her, Julian removed the stack of notes from the pocket of his coat and gave them to her. "I believe this will be substantial enough for you."
Lydia nodded, smiling wickedly. "Don't fret your grace, it is very much substantial. It is a shame that you are no longer my protector. I had quite a ball being on your arm."
Julian rolled his eyes. "I have no doubt you did Miss Carpenter."
Lydia. "Well, thank you for my payment."
Julian nodded tersely. "I do hope that the next gentleman who becomes your protector will treat you the way you deserve and desire to be treated. Obviously, you did not believe I treated you the way you were wanting."
Lydia tossed her head. "Oh, you do not need to worry about that. I already found a new gentleman, and I must say he is spectacular, both in and out of the bedroom."
Julian clenched his jaw. His emotions swirled around inside his head, causing his tongue to fall silent. Just as well, because he wasn't wanting to say another word to this woman.
Lydia. "Good night your grace."
Julian. "Good night."
Lydia closed the door in his face, turning her back against it. She smiled wickedly, staring down at the stack of notes in her hand. She had the money she desired, and would share it with the gentleman who was currently waiting for her in her bedroom.
Feeling as if await had been lifted from his shoulders, Julian turned and climbed back into the carriage. Knocking on the roof, he felt the vehicle return to Richmond Park. He exhaled with relief, a soft smile spreading across his face. At last, he was free of Lydia.
Once inside his London estate, Julian made his way to his office, closing the door behind him. Sitting down at his desk, he began to go over the stack of paperwork that was glaring at him. At Long last, he would be able to find himself a mistress who truly value him for who he was as a person, not simply for his title and wealth alone.
When the final document was signed and put away, Julian stood up from his seat and walked into his bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he removed his clothing, changed into his night clothes, and climbed into bed. Placing his head against his pillow, he closed his eyes and fell into a peaceful slumber. Bachelorhood had never felt so splendid.
***
The next morning, Julian was enjoying his breakfast of scones and a cup of tea, when he noticed the page boy enter the breakfast room. He put his cup down onto the saucer and smiled at him. "Good morning Ezra."
Ezra gave him a bow. "Good morning your grace. I do hope I wasn't disturbing you, but I have come to give you a letter." he held out an envelope.
Julian took the envelope from him. "Thank you."
Ezra nodded before turning and leaving the room.
Glancing at the envelope, Julian immediately recognized the elegant curse of handwriting of Miss Vivian Morgan. Curious as to what she wanted, he opened the envelope and pulled out a single sheet of paper. Placing the envelope onto the breakfast table, he began to read Vivian's letter.
Your grace,
I do hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to inform you about a ball I am hosting next week. It is a masquerade ball, so come dressed in your finest disguise. However, this is not an ordinary masquerade ball, but one of my famous masquerade match balls. I do hope you will attend.
Yours,
Vivian
Julian couldn't help but smile. He knew exactly how Vivian's masquerade match balls were orchestrated. They were strategic yet playful, mysterious and seductive.
Placing Vivian's letter aside, Julie in returned to his breakfast, his thoughts on the ball that was fast approaching. Little did he realize that night would change his life forever.