Chapter 1

Sounds of soft sniffles bounced off the walls of the small apartment situated in Bologna, Italy. Giovanna stood solemn in her bathroom while staring back at her reflection in the mirror.

Her bronze skin stained with tears and red blotches. It was hard. Hard trying to be happy while working her ass off trying to save up for the baby. Seven whole months passed with Gio working at a restaurant and a music club.

From taking orders from rich, snobby customers to singing for two hours in a club forty five minutes away, in Florence.

All of this while being pregnant and a uni student.

Oh, how much she missed her mom. She probably would've lectured her and called her ex-boyfriend a pussy for leaving the moment he found out she was pregnant.

Gio let out a laugh at the thought before quickly wiping the tears off her face. She looked down the bump poking through her work uniform and put a hand on the side. "It's just you and me sweetheart," She breathed out.

"Just you and me." She sighed.

The walk to the restaurant she worked at wasn't long. Gio found herself cheering up slightly halfway through the fifteen minute journey.

Her hair was braided in cornrows, done by herself of course, and her work shirt fit loosely on her body. She had begged her manager for a bigger size after her previous uniform became too small due to her growing bump.

Gio accessorised her dull outfit with a beaded blue and white bracelet she got from her grandmother before leaving to Italy.

Her change of clothes were in the pink duffel bag hanging on her shoulder.

As her workplace came into view Giovanna sighed before entering the restaurant. The scent of bread and pasta sauce welcomed her, filling her with a sense of familiarity. She greeted Romeo, a fellow waiter, before disappearing to the staff room to put her bag down.

"Buon pomeriggo Signora." Gio greeted her manager with a small smile. "Gio! You think you can handle the section at the back for me?" Maria, her manager asked looking up from her phone.

"Yes ma'am." She nodded before taking her order book and pen before leaving the room.

The hours went by quickly and right before Gio was about to clock off, a man dressed in red shirt with jeans walked into her section. She let him sit down before making her way towards his table.

Gio took in a deep breath before plastering a smile on her lips. "Welcome to Il Palazza, my name's Giovanna and I'll be your server today." She introduced herself.

Her eyes shifted to the man's face and she couldn't help but to admire his features. His dark hair fell onto his forehead as his gaze moved to her from the menu in front of him.

Giovanna sucked in a breath of cold air when his brown eyes looked up into her own. "Carlos." He said curtly.

"Well Carlos, I see you've been looking at the drinks menu. Perhaps you're ready to order?" Gio asked. "Uh yes, whiskey on the rocks." Carlos nodded.

"Whiskey on the rocks, coming up." She smiled before turning to leave.

Carlos watched her leave with a soft gaze before looking back down at the menu. He, himself didn't know what he was doing in Bologna. He decided to fly to Italy after his race in Qatar to cool down.

Carlos wasn't satisfied with his results, he could've done better the seventh place.

Gio appeared holding a tray with Carlos' drink a few minutes later. "Here's your drink." She placed it in front of him, receiving a 'thank you' from him. "So, are you ready to order?" She asked.