Chapter 10

I had originally deluded myself into believing we had reached a turning point, but maybe I was wrong.

"What are you doing here?" Beck's question is immediate and I feel my cheeks burn bright, the glass of Sprite trembling in my hand. I stare dumbfounded without responding, the silence growing more awkward by the second but my brain unable to compute words. Thankfully Daniel swoops in and saves me unexpectedly, chastising his son in a gentle tone.

"Now Beck, is that any way to greet our guest? Rome just arrived moments ago and I invited him in." Beck looks at me skeptically and then reverts his gaze back to his dad, raising his eyebrow and seeming to contemplate the situation.

When he doesn't say anything, however, I force myself to speak up. "Sor-Sorry, I just came by to..." My words continue to fail me as I realize I cannot come up with any fathomable reason why I should be here, right now, bothering these people who probably don't want me here.

"Well, son, are you going to just stand there and stare at us or would you like to say something?" Beck grimaces and I can feel his eyes turn back in my direction, although I am currently staring directly at the floor.

Within seconds I am able to memorize the unusual pattern of the carpet below my feet, tracing the intricate zig-zags with my line of vision. The colorful lines are set against a cream background, shades of pastel creating a pleasing trick of the eye. The light blue beside the burnt orange somehow compliments the dandelion yellow and faded green, all intermingling harmoniously.

It reminds me of when I was five or six, playing at the local public park. Mom had more time for me then, a lot more time, laughing at my antics and clapping when I'd land at the bottom of the slide. Things were so different when I was little, back when Mom was still in love with Dad and still enjoyed being around me. I relish in the warmth the old feeling brings me, the comforting ghost of my mother's smile miraculously calming my shaking hands.

"Rome? Did you hear me?" I am shamefully snapped back to reality by Beck's interjection, my nostalgic thoughts running away to hide. I can only imagine the shade of red I must be by now, the warmth I felt only moments ago replaced by the blush of mortification.

I bet I look like a human tomato.

"No, sorry. Can you repeat that?" Beck rolls his eyes, although his expression doesn't appear to be entirely angry...I'd almost call it playful.

"I asked if you wanna' check out the rec room, since you're here. Come on." I must look absolutely shocked because Beck's face noticeably softens further, clearly realizing his behavior has made me so nervous that ten seconds ago I was about to piss myself. "Unless you don't want to, of course..." Beck's voice fades off and his father Daniel clears his throat, excusing himself with just that small action and heading back into the kitchen to clearly give us some privacy.

Do I want to go to the rec room with him?

Duh, of course I do. Why else would I be here wasting his time?

"No-I mean yeah! Yes, I do want to. Sure." I am still seated on the couch but straighten myself up a little, brushing an invisible piece of lint off my pants.

Way to play it cool, genius.

Beck grins and starts walking away confidently, pausing only briefly to look behind his shoulder and ask, "Well what are you waiting for, a formal invitation stamped in gold?"

Smart ass.

To be continued...