INTRATCHER | FAIRY TALE REMAINS

Tampcent hadn't shown up to school today, so I made sure to watch my back in case there was a sickness going around

Tampcent hadn't shown up to school today, so I made sure to watch my back in case there was a sickness going around. Unless he wasn't allowed to go ice skating and he was sent six feet under by his parents, I had no concern. Although the topic ran through my mind throughout the day considering the fact he was reaching for perfect attendance this year. He had gotten it every year except for freshman year when he got in an accident with our old friend. He held our trio together. I miss Victor a lot more than I'd like to admit but he's a man of the past.

But I had more important things to do. I glanced back at Evelyn, who was looking up zodiac sign compatibility for everyone at our lunch table. I'm a Gemini and she's a Libra, although it said we were a 'strong match' it said that for everyone there. Although I never believed that sort of stuff, I didn't mind feeding into it because the way she spoke about it was cute. The way she'd rant about everything, regardless if I cared or not had me hooked. It was because it was her, if anyone else at the table tried to talk the way she did I'd fall asleep.

Albert let out an exaggerated click of his tongue and groan as he finished his fourth milk, leaning back. "Are you guys ready to go outside?" He asked although he was the only one there wearing shorts in the entire cafeteria. Probably because we were finishing the week before winter break. As I began to respond his girlfriend, Liv, gently slapped the back of his neck to remind him of something we both weren't in on. He took his arm off of her waist and rubbed his neck, wincing with a nod.

Evelyn took my hand, rubbing my palm. "You guys can go, I want to talk to Intratcher for a second." She smiled a gorgeous and toothy smile, like a doll, before ushering our friends off with her free hand. Melody whispered in Mason's ear before they both laughed, catching up with Albert and the others. Trailing my vision back to Evelyn, I had a nicely uneasy feeling in my stomach.

Dark strands of hair perfectly framed her face and she shut her eyes, bracing to speak. "Can we-" she paused mid-sentence, opening her eyes to where I'd feel rude to look away."-Can we talk about this unspoken thing between us?" Evelyn now had both of her hands intertwined in one of mine and I scooted back. She wore a flattering graphic t-shirt with a cartoon character and I knew I'd scream in my pillow thinking about her once I was home.

I frowned my brows and questioned her on what she was talking about, although I knew. Evelyn let out a long sigh before turning her whole body toward me, her knees crashing into mine. Praying she couldn't feel the shake of my leg or the warmth of my palm, we sat there in silence before she came closer and leaned in. Her hands hung behind my neck, her forehead against mine before I shut my eyes. Hoping everything would go by quickly I sat there as she kissed me on the lips. A wave of emotions came over me that I'd known I'd have to confront someday. Cupping her face, I could feel her mango gloss plant on my lips. Her mouth tasted of spearmint and smelled of taffy candy. They were as cold as her bony fingers and she pulled me in even closer.

Evelyn's hands fell to my shoulders and I backed up, taking a breath I hadn't taken since everyone else was in the cafeteria. My fists were now clenched beside me and the echo of me scooting back in my chair couldn't have been any more uncomfortable. Keeping eye contact, I could tell she became increasingly worried she had done something. I stood up from my seat, fiddling with my bridge piercing. "It's just, not here-" Her beautiful glance saddened, breaking eye contact. I wasn't sure what to say other than, "-maybe later alligator?" Awkwardly, I flashed a grin and took her hand, helping her up from her chair. "I liked that," I added as we walked down toward the exit, although I wasn't sure.

We had kissed in the past, this wasn't anything new. On the cheek, forehead, and even on and below the neck. But as I felt the lasting gloss on my mouth and licked it off, I knew this was different. Something she didn't know if she was ready for, and something I knew I wasn't ready for. But I don't think I was just not ready, rather it felt wrong. I loved Evelyn, she was the prettiest, nicest, most inspiring girl in school—and I knew everything about her too. I knew about her secret pet cat, Darcy. As well as how they named her because she and Travis fought over the names Daisy and Lucy. I knew about how the sight of Nickelodeon CGI scarier to her more than horror movies, and how she pretended to know how to use chopsticks up until last year. She was my best friend

Which might've been the real reason I backed off from her kiss

Which might've been the real reason I backed off from her kiss. As we stepped outside, groups would turn toward Evelyn as she walked by, but our friends tried acting like they didn't notice us. I think the only one who genuinely didn't was Mason, who had just dunked on a lowerclassman.

Evelyn's hand drifted off mine as she walked toward Liv, as she whispered exclaimed. "So?" Liv ushered for an answer on something everyone planned without me. Whether it was because she cared about Evelyn or the hottest conversation of the day, she cared.

So I knew what I had to do. Sliding in behind Evelyn I responded for her. Wrapping my arm around Evelyn's bare shoulder from behind her back, I spoke. "We're together now." Swallowing, I let out a sigh. "It's official." I could love her.