TAYLOR | THE GRUDGE

I yearned to be with Intratcher

I yearned to be with Intratcher. The more I thought of it, the stronger the feelings got. I wanted to joke with him, feel his presence. Tapping the floor, I felt more than distracted during my game. As I got into my form, I entered another world of thought on the court, as we had made it to state.

When Ailani, our best server, smacked the ball, I locked back in. "Back!" Franci yelled, her English accent emerging as the ball the opposing team hit flew over her head. My wrists joined and I reached my forearms to the ball. Thwack! It flew over the net, the other team blocking it but Charlie blocking it down in return. The scoreboard buzzed off, roars erupting from the stands. We had won, although all I could think about was school ball starting, and inviting Intratcher to one of my games.

We jumped and cheered in happiness, as we hadn't ever won state before, especially by such a high difference. Clenching my towel, we sat around listening to Coach Jones speak on technique or whatever. Francesca approached me as Coach finished, patting my back. "I can always count on my libero, seriously you played so well today. Someone new in the stands?" Her toothy smile crept on her face and the corners of my mouth perked out of my control.

Rolling my knee pads down to my ankles, I shrugged. "I wish, maybe next week though." My zipper growled and I hung my bag on my shoulder. "I've got to meet with Bennett, she's my ride, see you around!" Franci waved goodbye and I met up with Bennett. It was sad how everyone just so happened to have something to do on a snowy Saturday morning, including my mom and best friend. Except other than them and my team, I didn't talk to many people.

Unlocking my arms with Bennett, I threw my bag in the trunk and slid into the back seat beside her

Unlocking my arms with Bennett, I threw my bag in the trunk and slid into the back seat beside her. Her goldendoodle, Gamora, hopped up and rolled into a ball on my lap. "Taylor, we're going to the Wilsons, what do you want? I'm getting a bagel." I jumped up, leaning towards her mom in the driver's seat, Gamora staying on my legs.

"Mrs. Thompson, do they have croissants?" I beamed, awaiting a response. She smiled and shrugged before making a sharp turn. We all then went on talking about the game.