Seventeen

"Are you sure you're ready to go back?"

"Yes, Tim. I've been cleared physically and mentally."

"I know. But I want you to be sure. What happened was a lot."

"Yeah. It was. But I'm ready. Grey wants to see us, talk about the elephant in the room."

"Okay..." Tim says, unsure.

Kate continues to get ready. It had turned out that she was not pregnant. She was relieved yet, also a little sad to not be taking that step with Tim. They had only been together for less than a year, she was still in her rookie year, so it just was not the right time anyways.

"Let's go." She says, kissing Tim on the cheek before leaving his bedroom that had kind of turned into their bedroom this past week.

Tim insisted that she stay with him after what happened. Jackson temporarily moved into her room at the apartment with Lucy, but it was looking to be more permanent. Kate was sure Tim wouldn't let her out of his sight now. She was abducted one of the few times they hadn't been together. He was dealing with his own issues, feeling guilty. Like it was his fault.

Since everyone knew about them now, Tim drove them to work for her first day back. Walking next to each other, Tim swipes his fingers against her thigh "on accident". He stops just before the door and looks at her.

"One last time. Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. But can you make sure nobody claps? I really just want to walk in like normal. Move past that. I've had enough clapping since my probationary period started. Please."

"I'll see what I can do. It's Chen's first day back too. She may want the clapping."

"I can almost guarantee she does not."

                                                    **

"I do not want the clapping either. Please tell me he will work his Tim magic and they won't clap."

"I hope he can. I have to go see Grey before shift starts. Time to talk about what happened and my relationship with Tim."

"Good luck."

Kate smiles nervously before making her way up to Grey's office.  Knocking on the door, she steps in, seeing Tim already in there.

"Sit down, Officer Owens. First, welcome back." Grey says as she sits down. Her leg starts bouncing up and down as her nerves get worse.

Would he separate the two? Would he fire her? Or report them both?

"Secondly. I need to know what's going on. How long has this been going on?"

"Since before she was a rookie."

"Why didn't it end when you found out?"

"We tried, sir. Clearly, it didn't work."