Twenty-Seven

"Can we talk about what happened the other night?"

"I think it's best if we just leave it there. Move on, it happened."

"Kate, we slept together. It's gotta mean something."

"It does, Tim. It means a lot and I'm not sure what to even think at this point. I just need a moment."

"Well, I'm still in love with you. It hasn't changed."

"I know, and I'm still in love with you."

"Then why aren't we together?"

"I'm working on it. I'm working on me."

"Okay. I can work with that." Tim says, grazing her hand slightly and leans in, kissing her cheek.

                                                       **

"Owens, you're with me today." Lopez says, walking up to Kate after briefing. It was her first day back since shooting someone. She had been cleared mentally.

"Yes, ma'am." She says, following Lopez.

"Your first day back. I know what it's like."

"You've shot someone?"

"Yeah. My second year as a T.O., a prisoner transport went sideways. My Boot didn't search the suspect properly, lost her gun. The guy would've killed us both if I hadn't pulled the trigger."

"What happened to the Boot?"

"I don't know. She wasn't a cop after that. Look, there wasn't anything anyone could say or do to help me. I just had to make peace with it."

"I have."

"Have you really though?"

"Maybe. I'm not sure."

"You need to find out. Not making peace with it can make you a danger on the job."

**

Angela and Kate arrive on scene at a homicide. Stanton and Jackson were currently minding the crime scene. A man lies dead in the alleyway.

"Sorry for making you wait." Angela says to them.

"Nah, that's a first. Didn't know detectives knew the word "sorry."

"Well, it wasn't too long ago I was the one babysitting the crime scene. So, what do we got?"

"Hispanic male, tortured, shot execution-style. Probably killed by another gangbanger whose body we'll find in an alley next week. Classic case of "No Victims Involved", if you ask me."

"Well, I didn't. Go start a canvass."

"Yes ma'am." Stanton says as him and Jackson begin walking, Angela calls Jackson back.