Twenty-Six

Kate, Nolan, Lucy and Jackson are all walking towards the range together

Kate, Nolan, Lucy and Jackson are all walking towards the range together. Nolan is telling them about how his mom showed up on his doorstep this morning.

"Wanna crash on our couch?" Jackson offers

"No. Maybe. I ju-- She's such an emotional vampire, and I've got that 30-day extension hanging over my head. I cannot afford to lose focus right now."

As they walk, Jackson's new T.O walks past, making finger guns and pretending to shoot Nolan.

"On your six! Oh! If I'd have been a banger, you'd be dead." Stanton says as he keeps walking past.

"I'm not gonna lie. I'm not fond of him." Kate says, as they had all heard about what had happened on his first shift with Jackson.

"Yeah. Join the club."

They get to the range where Grey is standing, waiting for all the officers.

"Firearm requalification day. And, yes, I said "day" because even though the department allows a month for you to requalify, I expect every officer here to leave with a passing score. As police officers, we can never lose sight of the power we carry on our hip. There are only three circumstances where an officer should discharge his or her weapon. What are they? Rookies?"

"To defend their own life." Kate and Lucy say at the same time.

"To defend another person's life." Jackson says

"To prevent the escape of an individual who's committed a felony involving the use or threat of deadly force and poses an imminent danger to the public if he or she were allowed to escape." Nolan answers the last reason.

"Very good." Grey says, stepping back to give the floor to Officer Dixon.

"I'm Officer Dixon, your Range Master. Each target has two sides -- the civilian and the suspect. When you see the suspect, you have three seconds to get shots off. If you fire on the civilian side, it is an automatic fail. You have 36 shots, two magazine changes. 30 hits is a pass, 29 a fail."

Stanton, Tim, Garcia and Harper are the first to do their round. Once they're done, everyone looks at the rookies.

"Rookies, you're up." Grey says.

"Care to make it interesting? 20 bucks if your Boot makes it out on top?" Stanton says

"I'll take that bet." Tim says, Garcia and Harper agreeing as well.

"Officers ready?" A pause as the rookies move forward. "Begin."

All four start firing at the targets, but Nolan is distracted by something in his peripheral vision: a man in another shooting alley in full scuba gear, crawling along the ground shooting a handgun. Nolan stops shooting to stare at the sight and Grey barks at him.

"Officer Nolan!"

Once everyone has done their requalification, Grey stands in the front.

"So, finishing first with the most hits, fastest time, and tightest grouping... Officer Owens. Congrats. You are the new Mid-Wilshire champ."