Chapter 1: Broken promises

"You were right about me I've changed, no Jay I didn't mean this I didn't mean resign, I had to it was the right thing to do but you can't just leave, I fly out today, "Jay" It's not forever ok It's 8 months maybe a little longer but I swear to you that we're gonna get through this because you're the love of my life and if I'm yours.... Of course, you are, then you'll know that you have to let me go"

1 year later....

Hailey Upton Halstead was walking back to her car before going to the district after grabbing a cup of coffee from a nearby café on her way to work. She was feeling particularly emotional that morning walking into the café as it was always her and Jay's favorite spot and it had been exactly 1 year since he had left, 1 year since she had felt his touch, 1 year since she had seen his face, 1 year without her best friend by her side, she was finding it hard to deal with at the moment as Jay had been ignoring her calls and texts though she wasn't sure as to why.

Though they hadn't spoken in a few months she believed in Jay and believed in them as Jay was still the love of her life and she knew she was the love of his life and knew that together they would get through this bump in the road and come out stronger on the other side. She knew though that to do that there would be fighting, tears, arguments, and every emotion as she was still numb, hurt, and sad that he had dropped this on her without even asking for her opinion and then leaving just a few short hours later.

She was still in her own world when suddenly she was grabbed from behind and thrown into the back of a van. She tried to scream, tried to fight back, and grab her gun to shoot whoever this person was but a hand clamped over her mouth, muffling her cries for help. She struggled and kicked, but it was no use – she was trapped and gagged with a dirty rag that whoever was holding her tied around her head, she made sure to drop her badge on the ground as a clue for her unit who she hoped would find her before they were able to get her in the car. After realizing she had been drugged with chloroform that was on the rag, her last thought was wishing for Jay to come home and rescue her but she knew that would never happen and then her world completely faded to black and she fell unconscious...

A few hours later...

When she next opened her eyes, she found herself in a dark basement, her hands and feet tightly bound with chains. After surveilling her surroundings, she knew that she was alone and no way to escape. She again surveilled her surroundings to see if she could gather clues as to where she was and determine whether she could escape or not once she got out of the chains, she could hear cars driving past and birds singing but that didn't help her at all, and she was terrified. She became even more petrified when she remembered the fact that her husband was not in Chicago and would not be able to help and rescue her, her mind was putting her through the ringer and she almost broke with the knowledge that he would not even know she was gone. She understood his reasonings for leaving after almost becoming Voight and crossing lines during his last case but she still could not get over the hurt and anger. She knew if Jay was home with her, he could've protected her and stopped this, which upset her but what completely shattered her was the fact that he abandoned her, which was the one thing he promised to never do.

She knew when he came home and if she made it through this alive, they would have to have that conversation. It would take a while of them working together to fix the crack in their relationship that Jay caused by leaving, before they can go back to being them. She hoped that once the unit realized she was missing they would inform Jay of what happened so he would come home and help rescue her as she knew she would need him to help her recover both physically and mentally from this kidnapping and whatever hell and torture she would go through, little did she know right at the same time Voight was making a dreaded phone call.

Hailey knew that she and Jay had many battles to fight through before they could get to the way their relationship was before he left her to go to Bolivia, while he also neglected her for a whole month before when he was out who knows where, doing who knows what, crossing lines with Voight. But she knew if any couple could get through this it would be her and Jay because they had a unique relationship, sure it would take therapy, fighting and so much more to get there, but she knew they would get there together cause like they always said they would follow each other anywhere.

A rattling noise shocks Hailey out of her thoughts where she finds herself back in the same dark basement, chained, gagged and shaking with silent tears rolling down her cheeks after hearing someone unlocking the door to the room she was being kept in. She wished Jay was here with her so badly but was also glad he wasn't because she hated seeing him get hurt but she just wished she could see him, talk to him, tell him she loved him one more time because she had a feeling she might not make it out of this alive. After a few more minutes of the rusty door jangling, one of the men who kidnapped her walked in and it took her a few seconds to realize who this man was, she was shocked when she came to the realization of who this person actually was...