Chapter 13: A beacon of hope

Back at Jay and Hailey's apartment...

After Jay takes Hailey's mom to their place and gets her settled in, he ensures she's comfortable and has everything she needs for a good night's rest. He makes her a warm cup of tea or offers her a snack, trying to provide some comfort after the stressful days they've all been through. He makes sure she feels welcome and comfortable. He leads her to the guest room, where she can settle in for the night. Jay ensures the room is well-stocked with fresh linens, pillows, and blankets, wanting her to feel at home during her stay.

As they settle in, Jay takes a moment to sit down with Hailey's mom in the living room, offering her a chance to unwind. They engage in a few discussions, sharing their thoughts and feelings about the events of the past few days. "Thank you for letting me stay here," Hailey's mom says, gratitude evident in her voice as she sips her tea. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't offered." Jay smiles warmly, shaking his head. "Don't mention it. We're family, and family takes care of each other." Hailey's mom nods, her expression softening. "You've been so supportive of Hailey through all of this. I can't thank you enough for being there for her." Jay's smile widens, touched by her words. "Hailey means everything to me. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure she's okay."

They lapse into a comfortable silence for a moment, both lost in their thoughts. Then, Hailey's mom speaks up again, her tone more somber this time. "I can't help but feel guilty about everything that's happened," she admits, her eyes filled with sadness. "If only I had been there for Hailey sooner, maybe things would have turned out differently." Jay reaches out, placing a reassuring hand on her arm.

"It's not your fault. We've all been through a lot, but what's important now is that we're here for each other. And if it's anyone's fault it's mine, I never should have left Hailey to go to Bolivia. But at the time it was what I thought I needed; I did the one thing I always promised her I would never do. I'll regret this decision for the rest of my life and spend the rest of it making it up to her."

Hailey's mom nods, her gaze meeting Jay's with gratitude and sympathy. "Thank you for understanding. You're a good man, Jay. I don't have any doubt that you are the right person for my Hailey I've never seen her as happy than when she was with you. I know you left for the right reasons and to become a better man for my daughter, one that she deserves and I can't hate you for that. But you need to listen to me now, you need to forgive yourself for leaving before Hailey can forgive you otherwise your relationship will fall apart. I'd hate to see the two of you lose each other over something so trivial that can't be undone now. So, forgive yourself and let it go and then you will both be ready for those big fights and conversations."

Jay smiles, feeling a sense of warmth and acceptance wash over him, also feeling like some of the weight that he's been holding onto has lifted. "And you're a wonderful mother, Hailey is lucky to have you. Thank you for letting me talk about this, I haven't been ready to talk about this with Hailey after everything she went through, we still haven't really talked about it. I feel better knowing that you forgive me, I just hope Hailey can forgive me cause I can't lose her, but knowing her and what a big heart she has she'll forgive me, even though she deserves to hate me and find someone better, but if I lost her I don't think I'd ever come back from that. I love her too much."

As they continue to chat, Jay and Hailey's mom find comfort in each other's company. They share stories, laughter, and moments of reflection, finding solace in their shared experiences. Despite the challenges they've faced, they know that they're not alone in their journey. And with their bond strengthened by adversity, they face the future together, ready to support each other every step of the way.

Jay also takes the opportunity to grab a few essentials for both Hailey and himself from their apartment, like fresh clothes, toiletries, and any other items they might need during Hailey's stay in the hospital. Once everything is settled at home, Jay returns to the hospital to be with Hailey. He feels a sense of relief knowing that her mom is safe and taken care of, even if it's just a small weight off his shoulders amidst the chaos.