Chapter Ten

The ship landed in the courtyard, letting off a hiss of steam as the ramp lowered. Ophelia watched as Nyrin slung his backpack over his shoulder and headed over towards the other Elites who were gathered in a corner of the courtyard discussing something. She sighed, shouldering past her mother and heading towards the large metal gate that served as a front door to the Fortress.

Mara tried to follow her, but Ebin held her back, "Give her time. She's been through a lot lately." He murmured softly to her, as they both watched Ophelia walk into the Fortress, disappearing down the tunnel that led deeper into the mountain.

Ophelia walked for several minutes, eventually reaching the door to her bedroom. She pulled out her keycard, holding it out to the lock. 

Something clicked in the door, and it slid open smoothly, disappearing into the wall.

Ophelia stepped into the room, looking around. 

Several shallow steps led down to a large area containing her bed and wardrobe. A large fluffy cream rug covered most of the floor. Something was out of place, however. Under the rug there was a large lump.

Ophelia snuck quietly up and nudged the lump with her foot. 

It giggled.

Out from under the rug popped a little boy, looking to be about ten years old, carrying a book in one hand. "Ophelia!" He squealed, giving her a bear hug, "You're home!"

"Hey, Fenn! What were you doing under my rug, exactly?"

Fenn looked up at her innocently, "I was playing hide and seek with my instructor. I think he gave up looking for me, though."

Ophelia sighed, "Again? Fenn, you know that Mother and Father want you to become a warrior, not a scholar."

"I don't want to be a warrior, though. I want to read books!"

"I know you do. Now, run along and read somewhere else, please." She watched as her little brother scampered out of the door and down the hallway.

"I don't know how anyone is ever going to make him be a Mandalorian warrior..." She pulled off her helmet, sliding it into a cubby beside her bed.

She plopped down on the bed, laying back, "It's good to be home."

*****

Bang.

Nyrin's shot hit the target dead-center, prompting a whistle from Jarus, who stood off to the side, watching.

"Nice shot, kid. You're getting better every day."

Nyrin lowered the rifle, huffing, "Good isn't enough. If I'd been more than good, I would have protected Ophelia from that missile."

"That wasn't your fault, Nyrin, and you know it. Now stop with the self-pity and come practice hand-to-hand with the rest of the Elites." He nodded over to a part of the field where the Elites were pairing up to practice. "Come on."

Nyrin set the rifle down, joining the other Elites. Everyone else had already picked their partners for that session, so he and Jarus paired up.

"Guard up, Nyrin." Jarus reminded him, as they began to circle each other. 

Nyrin moved first, darting forwards to swing a right-hook at Jarus, which he dodged, swinging to the side, one leg planted firmly into the ground, tripping Nyrin with the other.

Nyrin looked up at Jarus, now sprawled flat on his back.

"Try again, kid. And this time, don't be so hasty." Jarus took hold of his arm, hauling him to his feet.

Nyrin nodded, beginning to circle again, angry that he had been taken out so easily the first time, mentally berating himself. Get yourself together, Nyrin, you're better than this.

Nyrin once again swung his fist at Jarus, but this time, as Jarus dodged, Nyrin spun, tracking him, and avoided the predictable sweep of his foot, hopping over it. However, he was not prepared for the follow-up, as Jarus's fist thudded into his stomach.

Nyrin staggered back a step, bringing one arm up to block, as Jarus attempted to punch his jaw. All this in vain, however, as Jarus once again kicked his legs out from under him, sending him sprawling. Nyrin hit the ground with a thump.

"Good try." Jarus offered him a hand up once more, but Nyrin brushed it to the side, standing by himself. 

"I'm done for today, Jarus," he huffed, pulling off his helmet to run a hand through his sweaty black hair.

"Giving up so soon, kid?" Jarus inquired, folding his arms. "That's not like you."

Nyrin sighed, knowing he was right. "I'm not quite normal right now. I need to figure myself out."

"Better get yourself figured out soon, then, because an Elite can't afford to be distracted." Jarus replied firmly.

"I know." Nyrin snapped, turning away. 

"Hey, calm down, I'm just telling you the truth."

Nyrin stalked off, ignoring Jarus, helmet in hand. I wish none of this had happened. I was a fool to think I could protect Ophelia all by myself.

And now, after over six months of waiting... Here is chapter ten. I hope you all enjoyed it! I've been on a long hiatus.