chapter-8 Ralph's decision

In the large dining area, Ralph Mason sat on the head chair. Sean and Cynthia sat on his left side while Arthur, Anna and Ian sat on his right side.

The servants serve them their dinner once they all sit down. Anna and Ian become happy seeing their favourite dishes. Anna said lovingly while eating “ Grandpa you are the best. You know I have wanted to eat this dish since yesterday. Hmm, it's so delicious.”

Ralph smiled at his silly granddaughter and said “ Then eat it more. For you I have also prepared some sweets. You like them right? Eat it to your heart's content.”

Anna giggled and said “ Thank you, grandpa.”

Ian teasingly said to Anna “ You always think about food. You should focus on studying more. Your college entrance exams are coming. You remember that,right?”

Anna said “ You are saying as if I am bad at my studies. For your kind information Mister I am a top student in my school, okay.”

Ian said “ Who knows how you get that brilliant mark. In my eyes you are as dumb as a pig.”

Anna made a hurting face and said “ You are calling me a pig. I am not gonna talk to you. Never.. Ever...”

Anna looked at Arthur and said “ Brother, see Ian was calling me a pig. You have to stand up for me Or else I won't talk to you either.”

Arthur nonchalantly listened to their banter. He stopped eating and placed his hand on her head and said “ Don't mind him. He is an idiot. He himself was not good at studying, that's why he is jealous of you. Just ignore him and eat.”

Arthur turned to Ian and said “ And you…don't always tease her. She is not a child anymore.”

Ian said disapprovingly “ Brother, this is not fair. She always makes this cute face and after that you all reprimanded only me. And so what if I have no interest in studying? Don't forget I am already a very big star. So I don't have any use for studying my acting skills. I just need this handsome face of mine to live well.”

Anna muttered to herself “ Shameless.”

Ralph ,Sean and Cynthia were silently eating their food while watching the children bantering. The dinner was done with their bickering. 

Once everyone was done eating Ralph said “ Everyone assembled in the living room, I have something important to announce.”

With that Ralph left the dining area without waiting for their response. 

After some time everyone was sitting in the living room and talking to each other. Ralph comes and sees that Arthur was not there, he asks Sean “ Sean, where is Arthur?”

Sean said “ Dad, he is talking to someone on the phone outside. You sit, He will come in himself once done with his call.”

Ralph said “ Hmm.” And sat down on the couch.”

When Arthur comes into the living room, he quietly sits on the couch without saying anything. 

After seeing Arthur come, Anna said to Ian in a low voice “ Brother, what do you think will happen now?”

Ian also replied in a low voice “ I don't know but one thing is sure that there will be a lot of drama unfolding. We just have to sit and enjoy ourselves.”

Anna said “ That's right, let's enjoy ourselves.”

Ralph began talking “ As everyone knows that I have something very important to tell you guys. So I'll come straight to the point. I have chosen a girl for Arthur and I want Arthur to marry her.”

Ian and Anna were so shocked that they opened their mouths. They lost their voices at this. They knew that their brother doesn't like to get entangled with any girl. They simultaneously look at Arthur to see any reaction. But to their surprise Arthur was sitting there without any expression  on his face like always. 

They looked at their parents to see their reaction. But their parents were also sitting there silently. They understand that their parents already know about this. 

Ralph continued “ I have already discussed it with Sean and Cynthia and they have no problem with my decision as long as the girl's have a good character. And I'll assure you guys that she has a very good character. I have visited that girl. She is very polite and respectful towards old people. I have also asked about their family. They are all good people.”

Everyone was just keenly listening to Ralph. 

Ralph looked at Arthur and said “ Few days ago I visited the girl's father, Martin Harper. I talked to him about your marriage with his daughter Stella. He wants to discuss it with his family before giving me any final answer. And today he called to tell me that they are okay with this marriage.”

Everyone becomes happy after listening to this. They all want to see Arthur to get married. But he never liked a girl before. It seems like their dreams are going to be true. 

They all looked at Arthur. He still remained seated with his usual straight face without any expression. No one knows what he was thinking to himself.

Arthur said after sometime “ Don't you know that this girl is still in her college. Right? Then why are you in such a hurry for my marriage with this girl.”

Ralph and everyone become shocked after hearing it. Ralph nodded approvingly “ So you already know. That's expected from my grandson. You already know that this girl is still studying. She can continue her studies after marriage as we have no problem with that. She can do whatever she wants.”

Arthur frowned and said “ Why are you telling me all this if you already arranged everything? Does my opinion matter here?”

Ralph said “ That's also true that you will have no say in this. But still you are my grandson. I'll give you an opportunity to meet her once and then tell us if you are okay with this marriage.”

Arthur said “ Are you really that kind?”

Ralph said “ Okay, I am not. The girl's father Martin wants Stella to meet you and make a decision if she wants to get married to you or not.”

At this everyone present starts laughing. Ian and Anna laugh so hard that their stomach starts hurting from laughing. They can't believe that one day a girl has the final say in their brother's marriage. This is unbelievable. 

Arthur glanced at them as if saying that if they laugh again he will break their legs. Ian and Anna stop laughing. 

Everyone looked at Arthur with expectations in their eyes. They want to know what decision Arthur will take. 

Will Arthur agree to meet Stella?..... 

With this question let's end this chapter here….keep reading my novel… do vote, comment if you like my novel..