Prologue

Tally What’s wrong?
How are you feeling today?
Are you okay?

The questions are endless. I’m so sick of it! Why can’t they understand my grief. They can’t handle the real me. So, I’m the one that suffers.
I’m no stranger to loneliness, but this? This is a whole new level. Most days, I wish I never existed. The one person who gave me solace and truly understood me is dead. Excuse me for having a hard time with that. I can’t just move on like I lost a hairbrush. There’s something wrong with them; not me.

A knock at my door has me rolling my eyes. I’ve already met Estevan’s chew toy. What could they possibly want now? Pasting a pleasant smile on my face, I open the door. Shit! Rosa is there, and she looks devastated.

“I think you should come down kiddo… I’m sorry, but it’s time.”

Time? Time for what? I hear Jacob yell the words,

“ I haven’t sent her yet.” And my stomach drops. I understand now. Part of me wants to run like a coward, and the other is relieved. I’ve known about this for months, and it’s been a dark cloud over my head. I want revenge on Jace’s murderer. Now I have the opportunity. Another part of me; a small part, is just plain scared.

Squaring my shoulders, I make my way down to stand before the angels. Jacob is brimming with cold anger I can literally feel in the air. One of the angels disappears. Cael, I think, and the other gives Jacob a warning, telling him he’s taking me. Jacob looks like he’s ready to fight him. I push forward, not wanting any more bloodshed. We’ve had enough already. Jacob stops me, and the older angel says his name in warning. I shoot Jacob a pleading look, appearing braver than I feel. His steely eyes meet mine, and he softens. What he says next gives me pins and needles as I fight the overwhelming dizziness the omission causes. I’m his daughter… and the daughter of a demigod. My mind is blown! All these years. Why didn’t he tell me? The mention of a mother I never knew sows a deep anger inside me. I hate secrets, despise them. All they ever do is hurt.

  I’m finding it hard to focus on what he’s saying as my heartbeat drowns out his voice. Something warm hits my chest, and I realize they’re my tears pooling beneath my sweater. Motions become a blur, and I’m pulled away from Jacob. Why would he lie? I can’t figure it out. I think I might be having a breakdown here. There are two angels with me. They’re talking, but my head is so loud I can’t focus. Sphere! That’s his name! He’s giving Cael the task of taking me to Lucifer while he spies on Jacob?
“Hey… Hey!”

I look up at Cael, his expressionless face unsettles me. He asks,

“Can you fly?”