hidden thrills and hidden feelings, pt. 1

< high school au >

warning: contains themes of accidents and physical injury

* * *

It was around six months ago when you first moved to this town and transferred to Wendy's high school for your senior year. From the moment you met her in homeroom, you were drawn to Wendy's kindhearted and caring nature. She went out of her way to make you feel welcome in your new school and helped show you around the campus. Before long, you realized you had developed strong feelings for her, and much to your surprise, she felt the same way about you.

After weeks of getting to know each other better, Wendy shyly asked you out on a date one evening. You happily accepted, and the two of you went out for dinner at a small cafe downtown.

Over your meals, you talked for hours about anything and everything—your families, dreams for the future, favorite movies and books. Wendy really opened up about herself, and you felt so comfortable in her presence.

Towards the end of the date, Wendy mentioned how she always tried to avoid dangerous or risky activities, focusing instead on more reserved hobbies like reading or baking.

"I just couldn't date someone who was really into things like motorcycles, drag racing, or BMX biking. Those sorts of activities scare me too much," Wendy explained.

Your stomach clenched a bit as you tried to hide your nerves. BMX biking was your one big secret passion that you had kept hidden all your life up until this point, afraid others would judge you for it like your parents did.

Not wanting to reveal your secret just yet and risk losing Wendy so soon, you nodded understandingly. "I completely get where you're coming from. Safety is definitely important," you replied carefully.

Wendy smiled, looking relieved, and you subtly changed the subject to talk more about her art classes instead.

After that first amazing date, you continued seeing Wendy more and more often outside of school. She lit up your world in a way no one else ever had before, and you fell for her more each day.

To you, Wendy was the perfect girlfriend—fun, thoughtful, caring, and beautiful inside and out. But you still avoided bringing up your secret BMX hobby, afraid of what she might think if she knew the truth about one of your biggest passions.

Instead, you kept up your double life, spending weekends with Wendy going to movies, shopping at the mall, having picnics in the park, or attending her family dinners. But on certain evenings and weekends when Wendy was busy, you would secretly meet up with your old friends from your hometown who also rode BMX. They had a tight-knit group, and your own trick skills were well-known among them. Together, you would spend hours at the local BMX park practicing new stunts and maintaining your skills on your flashy custom bike.

No one at your new school knew about this side of you except for Suho. Although he was another senior from your group back in your hometown, he also became your main link to transportation to the park at night since you didn't have your own car. Under the cover of darkness, you felt free to be your true wild and daring self on the bike trails instead of always upholding your picture-perfect girlfriend image during the day.

Things were going smoothly, keeping your two lives separate, until one fateful Saturday night party at your schoolmate's house. You and Wendy arrived fashionably late, your arm linked with hers as you greeted her smiling friends. Though introverted, you tried your best to be social and charmed Wendy's friend group with your witty humor and kind manners.

About an hour into the festivities, you excused yourself to the kitchen to get another drink. That was when Haseul suddenly appeared before you, cornering you against the counter with a stern expression.