fifty-five

༺༻

༺༻

JAZZ MUSIC WAS BEING PLAYED OUTSIDE IN THE QUARTER WHICH DISTURBED MY TWINS, WAKING THEM FROM THEIR NAP. I walked out on the balcony to give the musicians a piece of my mind, "Hey! It's not Jazz Fest! Some of us have toddlers who need to sleep!"

I returned inside but the musicians kept playing. I put a hand to my head as the twins started to cry. I didn't get it. If one cried, the other cried. They both had to cry because not making their mom miserable was a problem.

"You all right?" I turned around to see Jackson in the doorway.

I sighed, "Oh, they were napping until that stupid music woke them up. Ho— How am I supposed to live with all noise?"

"You're just sensitive to it, okay? We spent six months as wolves in the Bayou. We've been back a day" He entered the nursery, "I think it's okay to take a minute to adjust"

"Easy for you to say. You're not half-vampire. Everything for me is heightened. It's not just the noise. I'm claustrophobic. My skin is crawling. I'm irritable. Im hungry" I sighed again, "I wanted to be with them so badly. And now that I am, I just feel off"

"Well, you gotta let it out. If talking won't cut it, I have an idea that will" Jackson told me, "Ask Freya to babysit"

I looked at him, "why?"

Jack smiled, "I'm taking mommy out for the day. Just you and me, like old times"

———————-

JACKSON'S IDEA WAS TO BRING ME TO ST.ANNE'S CHURCH WHICH MARCEL HAD TURNED INTO A GYM FOR HIS VAMPIRES. I looked around, "I'm pretty sure that Marcel opened this place for vampires"

"Well, you said it yourself, you're part-vampire" Jack shrugged, "Figured it'd be a good place for you to blow off some steam. You might feel better if you hit something, even if it's me"