sixty-nine

༺༻

༺༻

KLAUS AND I STAYED IN THE APPALACHIANS AFTER LEARNING THAT LUCIEN WAS UP TO NO GOOD. I had called Hayley to come meet us at Mad Crow Diner but she wasn't the one who pulled up in the car, Mary was.

Mary stepped out and I froze when I saw her, "W-where's Hayley?"

"Back in the city" She answered, "Figured you and I should have a talk about Jack"

"I understand that you're angry at me, I am too," I told her. I walked past her to settle Hope and William into the back seat.

When I finished, I looked up to find the twins looking at me. I smiled, "The two of you are gonna hang out with Grandma Mary for a little bit. Mommy will see you soon" I kissed them on their foreheads before I closed the door.

"I haven't seen you in months" Mary spoke.

"There's been a lot going on," I said.

"So I've heard but you never told me" Mary replied.

I sighed, "it was a group of vampires. They kidnapped Jackson and Hayley. I went out to the Bayou to check on them and this group shot me with wolfsbane laced tranquil darts. They took us to this warehouse or whatever and. . .Well, Jack he—" I paused not knowing how to tell her. She obviously knew about it already but she wanted me to tell her.

"What did they do, Annabelle?" Mary asked.

I faced her, "The leader of that cult-like group ripped Jackson's heart out, Hayley and I were tied up so we couldn't do anything but watch. . .I'm so sorry Mary"

"Don't be. You tried to save him" Mary said.

I shook my head, "But I didn't. I didn't do anything but cry when I should've kept him safe from everything."