Chapter 10

"You did what!" Regina all but yelled at the woman lying only inches away from her. Regina moved to sit up not caring about the bunched towel that fell from her frame. She was now looking Emma in the eye begging her for an explanation, only Emma didn't answer.

Gold. Emma had made a deal with Gold. That didn't make sense. Why would she do that? Why would she chain herself into a debt with the former Wool Spinner? Emma knew how dangerous it could be. The blonde knew about the former Queen and the man's past, Emma herself had even owed him a favour years ago. Why would she do this to herself again? To them?

"But why would she do it", the thought kept repeating in her mind. She had said Gold was unable to do anything when she was first diagnosed. Why would she go back to him now? She couldn't help the rush of hope pumping through her veins. It was almost as strong as the feeling of fear bubbling in her insides. The Dark One had been able to do something. Surely Emma should have lead with this instead of telling her everything. Yes Regina wanted to know, she was thankful she did know but it could have waited. This...this was much more important than that other stuff. It was vital and uplifting. It was hope and happiness. It was a dream come true. This is what Emma should have started her story with. With a dread that nearly knocked all the air out of her, she considered the price. What did Gold now hold over Emma? What unspeakable deed did he ask of her? What was Emma now being forced to do, in return for her life?

"What was the price?" Regina asked with a rush breath. She had to know maybe she could reverse it. Maybe she could make her own deal with Gold to null and void Emma's terms. Maybe she could use her own magic to save the young woman from whatever fate her former teacher had forced upon her.

"What?" Emma asked clearly confused. It wasn't a difficult concept. In fact when it came to Rumplestiltskin it was a very simple process.

"What was the price Emma? What is he making you pay?" the brunette fired, feeling her inside turn to mush. This was real fear. Fears only ever matched by watching Henry take his own heart from his chest for Pan, and the time that followed. You did not make deals with Gold, Emma knew it! Regina's hand caught easily on Emma's knee and gave it a slight squeeze. It was all she could offer.

"He said he didn't want much" Emma answered back her tone now of equal urgency. Much ... the imp didn't want much. That didn't sound like Gold. Not in the slightest. "He said he didn't want much from a dying woman" Emma confirmed breathlessly and it felt as Regina had been shot through the chest. The wind had been simply knocked out of her and all she could do was watch Emma getting off the bed and tightening the robe around her. Distancing herself from Regina yet again, except the brunette did not follow. She couldn't move.

"What did he want?" Regina asked her voice slightly octaves higher than usual.

"Some of my hair" Emma answered her tone now increasing in panic it hadn't had previously. Regina was making her worried. Emma should be worried. You don't just make deals with the imp and everything is fine. Regina was living proof of that. Why did he want Emma's hair?

"Hair..." Regina asked her inner question cautiously.

"True Love" Emma mumbled quietly her head hanging low and her hands playing with cord around her middle. She wasn't looking at Regina a sure sign that something was wrong. True love though what did that have to do with anything? Gold had his in Belle. "He had some from Mom and Dad's to bring back magic. He'd been using it to bottle true love or something" the blonde explained altering her weight between her feet, almost shuffling from side to side. Regina knew about that. Gold had brought magic back after the curse broke.

"What does that have to do with you?" Regina asked softly. Part of her was glad it seemed whatever it was, was not connected to Emma being the Saviour. She was very thankful for that.