Chapter 16

"What?" Regina breathed as the butterflies fluttered on, only to increase when she saw her lover's grin.

"Nothing...just wondering what you've done to Regina Mills" Emma replied with her normal air of boldness which Regina hadn't realised she'd been missing. Come to think of it, it had been absent from Emma's demeanour and attitude long before the woman had left for Boston. The brunette couldn't help but wonder when the cancer had started its attack on Emma's life. If what Emma had said the previous evening was true then the disease had done so much damage before they'd even noticed the symptoms. Emma really hadn't stood a chance. She wished more than anything that the smile playing Emma's lips was enough to make her feel untouchable, just as it always had. Except either of them were. She'd bask in her love's happiness though and whatever was producing that beautiful smile.

"Excuse me?" Regina quipped with a long drawl, rather impressed at how easy it was to fall back into their old roles. She saw the slight shake of Emma's mop of golden hair before she stepped forward into the room.

"First dinner in bed and now you're letting Henry sleep in his clothes and without taking off his shoes..." Emma continued with the same expression of confidence her words had previously carried and yet Regina felt the fluttering in the pit of her stomach die away instantly. The sparkle in Emma's eye which allowed the former Queen know the other woman was only joking did nothing to sooth the bitter taste in her mouth. Clearly unaware of Regina's internal reaction Emma simple chuckled to herself as she walked to the foot of the bed.

"I wasn't aware helping your child to be disciplined was a bad thing...I'll keep that in mind however" Regina bite back and she saw Emma's eyes widen in shock. It was a painful reminder that once again it was up to her and her alone to raise their son. Emma had said Regina would treat her differently once she knew of her aliment and now it seemed she was being scolded for treating Henry different too. She had simply thought a meal in the large bed would have been nice...another family memory for her and Henry to cherish once Emma was gone. It had enabled Henry to ask questions he might not had felt able had they moved their sensitive conversation elsewhere. Did it really make her a bad mother for not wanting to wake her son by insisting he remove his shoes and clothing in favour for his evening wear? She certainly hadn't thought so.

"Regina I didn't mean it like that. I was joking" Emma pleaded and it instantly reminded Regina of the arguments they had had in the month leading to Emma's departure. Emma would say or do something to upset her, and Regina would react only for Emma to turn into an apologetic mess. She didn't want to fight with Emma, she really didn't. So why was it so easy to do so? Why was it so easy for Emma to provoke a reaction and why was it so easy for Regina to provide one?

"Hilarious..." Regina replied with what she knew was her most deadpan tone though it still carried enough sharpness that she knew Emma would feel it. She knew it would annoyed Emma but at least they weren't shouting at one another. It wouldn't do well to wake their son by having an argument about not wanting to wake him.

"Regina..." Emma pleaded again. Regina really was going to be alone again. Parents no matter their child's age worry about their disciple. Are they being too strict or too lenient? Should their punishment be more severe or are you expecting too much from them? It was something Regina had had to worry about less for the last two years. The two women had been a united front and had discussed the fairest punishments for their son's rule breaking behaviours.

She had had someone to support her and now...Emma was leaving her again. It did not matter whether the former sheriff wanted to or even had any control over it happening. Regina felt angry at Emma. Anger she knew was misplaced and irrational because she knew the other woman did not want to leave them. Emma did not want to leave Regina alone to raise their son and yet she was doing just that.