Chapter 12

She felt warm and secure as her body regained its sense of the world. For months she had awoken with the feeling of dread and foreboding. Waking with a heavy weight pressing down upon her and her chest, making it nearly impossible to breathe. As her brain flickered into consciousness she felt that weight again. She felt as it pressed into her chest, pushing her into the mattress beneath her; only this time it was with a smile. Her breathes came easily as she felt her lover secured against her side, head resting against Regina's chest.

Opening her eyes she noted the room was now painted in colours of summer as her curtains did not hold out the blaring sun. Looking down she saw a clenched fist holding her top tightly in its grip, just over her heart as if Emma feared for Regina's departure during her slumber. Or maybe it was simply a gesture of security. To feel Regina was still there even as she slept. Either way the former Queen wouldn't have moved away from her. She could feel the steady thump of Emma's heart against her side and couldn't help the serene smile that took her lips captive.

Glancing over the top of the mess of blonde hair she saw it was little after half eight. They'd slept for only a few hours, like she knew they would. She remembered Emma saying she was likely lag during their day ahead and the only thing which enabled Regina to manoeuvre her way free from her sleeping bedfellow was the promise that Regina could accompany her when it happened.

She felt Emma's hand grip at her top a little tighter as she moved away and had to repress a chuckle at the disappointed groan emitting from the sleeping woman. As gently as she could she uncurled the hand from herself as she moved from the bed completely. Emma shifted, and Regina grinned at the bleary eye peering over the edge of the cover at her. Just as Henry did when she woke him. The brunette sat back on the bed just out of the reach of the other woman, as the blonde's face crunched slightly in objection to being awake.

"Go back to sleep. I'm going to have a shower and get dressed then you can have one if you want" Regina said as quietly as she could to still sleep dazed woman.

"Okay" was the croaked reply still thick with sleep. Regina felt her smile tighten as she leant forward placing a kiss to the mess of blonde tresses that was sticking out from the top of the covered. She felt her heart dance in her chest at the contented sigh from the other woman. Though that was the only noise Emma made as she buried her head deeper into her pillow, and Regina could tell she was asleep in moments.

Her shower was nothing special but she allowed the heavy down pour to loosen the tension in her tight muscles. She stood arms raised as the heat and stream filled her fogged brain and washed away all thoughts. She wouldn't wash her hair this morning, but the apple shower gel she lathered across her body filled her with its scent and cleared all the cobwebs of sleep. Cleared the nagging hint of desperation she felt in the light of Emma's revelations. She allowed the shower to wash away her worries and focuses on the only things she had control over. Emma and Henry's happiness and enjoyment. She would work her hardest to ensure her family got what it deserved, and she too would relish it. Gold's "gift" had given them something to cherish and Regina would do just that.

Stepping out she shivered as the cool air rushed at her bare skin. It was a dramatic change from the thick stream from the shower, though it was a change she welcomed considerable as it was quite a humid June; at least for Storybrooke. The nearest towel is quickly run over herself ridding her body of the water there. Deodorant was sprayed and her toothbrush and hairbrush was run across their respected places in quick concession. Clutching the towel around herself she exited the bathroom in a billow stream and bite back a smirk at Emma's current position.

Emma had now buried her face into Regina's pillow, much as she always did when Regina wasn't there. While Regina found it difficult to sleep on what she had long coined as "Emma's side", Emma did not have the same qualms, and was now almost laid diagonally across the bed. The cover was tucked beneath her chin. Watching Emma sleep was something she could do for hours if she allowed herself. She had always found Emma's deep sleep filled breathing soothing, and would soon follow her partner into the land of dreams. Sadly today she did not have the luxury of hours to spare. Maybe later.