Chapter 20 | Needed

As soon as Soto walked through the front door I stood up from my seat and threw my playing cards on the table

As soon as Soto walked through the front door I stood up from my seat and threw my playing cards on the table. Buttoning the front of my suit jacket, "if you'll excuse me. I'll be right back." I told the table which consisted of Julian, his cousins, Elisia, and Joseph. Dario and Rafe had already both left to do god knows what.

This dinner party went well into the night and when I had walked back in from seeing Faye off my father was bitching in my ear for a whole hour. Which is why I had texted Soto and told him to come when my father was already up in his room sleeping. I didn't want my father snooping in places he didn't belong.

"Hey. You can't just leave, it will mess up the game," Sergio mumbled drunkenly, squinting down at his cards. Elisia laughed at him, a genuine one that I rarely saw. It looked like she might be a little drunk too and Julian shook his head at both of them.

I looked over at Lorenzo who was leaning against the wall flirting with Vittoria. I shook my head, walking two steps I pulled him from his suit and he went stumbling back, "play for me. And stop flirting with my little cousin," I told him. He winked at her and then walked to where I was originally sitting.

Vittoria rolled her eyes and I shook my head at her, "I'm already eighteen, Alessio. You can't baby me anymore."

"I'll baby you for as long as I want," I told her seriously, looking back at Soto who waited for me.

Then I looked back at Vittoria. Who always thought we were torturing her but we were just trying to protect her. She scoffed, "what's so bad talking to men? I've done worse behind your guys backs-"

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that, Vittoria."

Of course we knew she did things without us knowing, but what she didn't know is that we did know. We always knew.

Then she looked down at her heels, something sad passing through the same blue eyes as her mothers. I walked closer, feeling bad all of a sudden.

"Well you can't protect me forever. My father will marry me off to somebody someday. With a man that won't love me," she muttered.

"I wouldn't let that happen," I told her. Vittoria looked up at me, blue eyes a little teary. If Vittoria wants to marry one day it would be her decision. Not anyone else's and that goes along with Gia. Both of my baby cousins wouldn't have the future their mothers or mine had. I wouldn't hand her over to a man that would hurt her.

She nodded, then her eyes flicked over to the table and I knew exactly who she was looking at. Adrian.

The second Adrian and Vittoria met I knew she had a crush on him. I took it lightly, until I realized it wasn't her usual crush.

As much as I didn't like it, if that's what they wanted in the near future I wasn't going to stop that if it made her happy. Adrian was our age, which meant he was four or so years older than her. I'd seen worse so the age gap wasn't bad. And I liked Adrian. He was quiet, kept to himself most of the time and respectful.