Chapter 7 | Lingerie day

The faint smell of my mother's cooking made its way to my nose as I ascended down the stars

The faint smell of my mother's cooking made its way to my nose as I ascended down the stars. I wiped my palm against my dress, the one I was always required to wear to every dinner. Orders from my father. I got treated differently than my brothers, they got to wear whatever they wanted and they got to leave the dinner table whenever they wanted too.

But not me.

I had to ask permission. I had to wear whatever was laid out for me. I had to eat what they told me to eat and I was never really allowed outside.

I didn't understand why. I always thought it was because of my age. But when I saw other girls my age with freedom that thought quickly disintegrated. Then I thought it was because I was a girl, that's why I wasn't allowed to eat as much or talk to other people. But the books I read, girls did whatever they wanted.

So why couldn't I?

I was human too.

Just like everyone else. So why did I get treated differently?

My eyes watered as I continued to walk down the stairs, only to stop a second later when sudden yelling filled in between the shiny walls of our home.

"You can't do that!"

"Like hell I can't. Gaia. I can do whatever the hell I want!"

"She's my daughter, Micheal. Mine! Just because you lost Layla and Charlotte does not mean you get to take away my daughter from me-"

There was a loud bang, cutting off my mother.

"Don't talk about that bitch. Charlotte is a whore and I'm glad she fled. She was too soft for her own good. That daughter of hers is just going to fall in the same step as her."

I sank down on the step I was standing on, trying my best to keep quiet as my father yelled.

"She left you because she didn't want you to sell her daughter, that's why. And I won't let you take Faye away from me."

I dug my nails into my palms, trying to make sense of their conversation. What did my mom mean about taking me away? I didn't want to leave, sure my father wasn't nice and my brothers hated me but I loved my mom and the house. I liked living in Sicily even if people were mean.

This was my home.

"She'll make me a lot of money, Gaia. We'll be rich for a long time," My father said.

What?

"I don't care!-"

"Have you looked at our daughter? The second I put a price on her she'll be gone in seconds. She's too pretty to stay in this home."

My heart clenched. I didn't want to leave.

"Faye," I heard my name being called from behind me. But I didn't dare turn around, knowing it was Thomas. My oldest brother. He wasn't the nicest, but Sebastian, my other older brother, was nicer.