Chapter 21. Old Friends and New Acquaintances

The morning came almost too soon and I woke up slightly groggy and tired. I could feel the warmth of Totto beside me and yawned stretching in my bed. The rumbling sound that came from my pet made me smile. I got up slowly flexing my achy muscles. Totto raised his head and blinked sleepily at me. I rubbed behind his ears, careful of the spikes on his back and Totto gave me a yawn as well, snuggling back to hide his head between his large paws.

I shrugged and left him sleeping opting to continue with my morning routine. A quick bath later, I was already descending down the stairs to the dining room where all the meals of the day were usually served.

Ralph and Soran were already sitting in the room, enjoying the morning tea. I waved to them as I entered, "Hey, guys!"

"Ah, good morning, my dearest Aleta," Ralph smiled at me almost too brightly while Soran pierced me with a frighteningly freezing glare.

"And a good morning to you too, Ralph!" I chirped happily as I plopped down in my usual chair and then frowned as I noticed and extra plate on the table. Was someone else joining us for breakfast?

"Hasn't Elek left for the village, yet?" I asked as I munched on a roll with strawberry jam, staring at the plate contemplatively.

"Why, already miss him?" Soran snapped at me and I glanced at the boy, raising my brow questioningly. "Do you have any idea what a huge step back-"

"Ah, I see someone is still alive and kicking!"

Surprised at the new voice joining the conversation, I craned my neck around to see none other but my good old friend from the mines.

I sputtered in shock as the dwarf grinned and jumped on the chair, pulling the empty plate towards herself. "No need to kick the bucket now, girl. I'm not that horrendous, am I?"

"Jill?!" I finally gulped down my bite of food and let myself gape in surprise.

"Please, calm down, my fair lady," Ralph smiled gently as he pushed a glass of fresh juice towards me. I grabbed it automatically, my mind in overdrive.

"What... what are you doing here?"

Seriously, was everyone I knew gonna show up in this secret tower hidden by the most powerful of magics? Now the only one we lacked was Oheli and the black dragon of doom. Perhaps, we all could have a nice chat over morning tea...

Meanwhile, Jill shrugged her shoulders in answer as she worked on piling food on her plate, "You never came back to tell of your adventure into the mountains. I figured you either dropped off the hooks or were very close to doing so."

"Pfft," Soran snorted as he poured himself some tea, "I wouldn't be surprised if she did exactly that one of these days."

"Hey!" I glared at the boy who merely smirked and Jill chuckled merrily.

"And then, your warrior friend showed up, spreading gloom and doom all around," Jill continued and I raised my brow. So that's how Elek found me. "He was adamant I led him to where you were and so, we set out to find this Soran the Magician."

The dwarf piled more food onto her plate and I watched unsure if it could hold such a huge amount.

"Now I was, of course, naturally curious and worried for you after your holy friend ranted about all the dangers you could come upon and so, here I am."

"Yes, with no permission from me, might I add," Soran grumbled into his cup of tea, earning a smile from me.

"Not to mention, my good old friend Ralph is here as well, so we've got some catching up to do," Jill said, waving her hand towards Ralph, who merely smiled benignly.