020

XX - THE LOVE AND LOSS OF A SISTER

IT WAS A WILD BOAR, thirty feet high, with a snotty pink snout and tusks the size of canoes. Its back bristled with brown hair, and its eyes were wild and angry.

"REEEEEEEEET!" it squealed, and raked the skeletons aside with its tusks. The force was so great, they went flying over the trees and into the side of the mountain, where they smashed to pieces, thigh bones and arm bones twirling everywhere.

Then the pig turned on them.

Thalia raised her spear, but Grover yelled, "Don't kill it!"

The boar grunted and pawed the ground, ready to charge.

"That's the Erymanthian Boar," Zoë said, trying to stay calm. "I don't think we can kill it."

"The fourth labor of Hercules," Valeria said. "He had to bring it back to King Eurystheus of Mycenae alive."

"It's a gift," Grover said. "A blessing from the Wild!"

The boar said "REEEEEEET!" and swung its tusk.

Zoë and Bianca dived out of the way. Percy pushed Grover and Valeria out of the danger zone.

"Yeah, I feel blessed!" Percy said. "Scatter!"

They ran in different directions, and for a moment the boar was confused.

"It wants to kill us!" Thalia said.

"Of course," Grover said. "It's wild!"

"So how is that a blessing?" Bianca asked.

Turns out, the pig was offended. He charged her and she rolled out of the way of its hooves and came up behind the beast. It lashed out with its tusks and pulverized the WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT sign.

"The snow," Valeria said. "We have to trap it in the snow!"

"I don't know how that's possible without getting trapped in its tusks!" Percy yelled.

"Keep moving!" Zoë yelled. She and Bianca ran in opposite directions. Grover danced around the boar, playing his pipes while the boar snorted and tried to gouge him.

When the boar turned on Percy, Valeria, and Thalia, the Daughter of Zeus made the mistake of raising Aegis in defense. The sight of the Medusa head made the boar squeal in outrage and charge.

They only managed to keep ahead of it because they ran uphill, and they could dodge in and out of trees while the boar had to plow through them.

Percy said, "This way," and grabbed Valeria's arm, pulling her towards a stretch of snow covered train tracks. Thalia ran beside them with a determined frown.

The boar, thank the gods, was terrible at climbing. It slipped and slid along the hillside and it would have been funny if they were not running from the thing Indiana Jones style.

Ahead of them was a covered tunnel. Past that, an old trestle bridge spanning a gorge.

"Follow me!" Percy said.