Chapter 3 Billina, the talking hen

Amidst the gentle caress of dawn's first light, Dorothy was roused from her slumber by a peculiar sound. Her eyes fluttered open to a world aglow with the radiance of a sun-kissed sky. In her dream, she frolicked in the familiar barnyard of Kansas, surrounded by playful calves, oinking pigs, and clucking chickens. As she blinked away the remnants of sleep, a moment of disorientation gripped her—was she truly back in the heart of Kansas? "Kut-kut-kut, ka-daw-kut! Kut-kut-kut, ka-daw-kut!" The strange noise echoed once more, jolting her senses. A hen's cackle, no doubt! Peering through the slats of the coop, Dorothy's gaze met a startling sight—no longer adrift on the river, but firmly grounded on land.

"Kut-kut-kut, ka-daw-w-w—kut!" A sudden revelation struck Dorothy, causing her to leap to her feet. "What on earth?" she exclaimed, only to be met with an unexpected reply from a diminutive, yet articulate voice. "I'm just trying to lay an egg, that's all," chirped a hen nestled in the coop's corner. Astounded, Dorothy gasped, "Have you been here all night as well?" The hen, nonchalantly flapping its wings, recounted its harrowing tale of clinging to the coop for dear life amidst a tempestuous river. "Dear me," Dorothy remarked, "how do you feel now?"

"Not too cozy, I'm afraid. The sun has lent a hand in drying my feathers, much like your dress. But what fate awaits us now?" pondered the hen. "I too am curious," mused Dorothy. "But pray tell, how is it that you possess the gift of speech? Can't hens only cluck and cackle?" The yellow hen, deep in thought, revealed, "I've clucked and cackled all my days, never uttering a word until this morn. Yet, when you posed a question, responding felt as natural as the break of dawn. A peculiar wonder, indeed."

"Indeed," concurred Dorothy. "If we were in the Land of Oz, your talking would not seem out of place, for many creatures there converse fluently." "And my grammar?" inquired the hen, a touch of apprehension in her voice. "Do I meet your standards of propriety?" "Absolutely," assured Dorothy, "you fare quite admirably, especially for a novice." As their dialogue unfolded, Dorothy's eyes wandered beyond the coop's confines, taking in the stark contrast of the surrounding landscape. The once flowing river had vanished, leaving behind a stark dichotomy of terrains. On one side, an endless, barren desert stretched out, its vastness echoing solitude and mystery. Yet, on the opposite bank, vibrant meadows and flourishing forests called out with a siren's song, promising untold adventures and hidden wonders to those daring enough to explore.

 Yet, on the opposite bank, vibrant meadows and flourishing forests called out with a siren's song, promising untold adventures and hidden wonders to those daring enough to explore

"Oz?" pondered Dorothy aloud. "Could this be Oz?" "Oz?" echoed the curious hen. "A magical land I once ventured to," recounted Dorothy. "I was blown there by a tornado, I embarked on some great adventures, yet my heart yearned to return to Kansas, which I eventually did." "Ah, I see," acknowledged the hen. "Shall we go investigate, perhaps find breakfast along the way?" asked the hen. "Agreed," replied Dorothy, halting the hen's impulsive leap off the side of the crate. "But if this is Oz, going that way, you are about to step foot on the deadly desert." "The what?" queried the hen. "It surrounds Oz. I flew over it in my old house. Any living thing that touches it becomes sand," elucidated Dorothy. "But, if we step out on to the grass over here we will be okay."

"By the way, do you have a name, Mrs. Hen? asked Dorothy as they stepped on to the grass. "Billina is my name," answered the hen. "Nice to meet you, Billina. I'm Dorothy Gale."

With the hen snugly nestled in her embrace, Dorothy forged ahead into the wild expanse of the land. Venturing a bit further from the desert's unforgiving edge, she stumbled upon a peculiar sight—a tree that bore an intricate symbol resembling a painted sign, akin to those that adorn shopfronts. In bold, ominous letters, the sign warned: "BEWARE THE WHEELERS!"

Curiosity piqued, Billina piped up, "Who or what are these Wheelers?"

Dorothy, her brow furrowed in uncertainty, replied, "I'm not sure, Billina. I don't remember them."

Casting a wary glance around, Dorothy clutched Billina closer, proceeding with caution, her senses heightened as she navigated the landscape, on the lookout for any sign of the mysterious Wheelers.

...

Unbeknownst to Dorothy and Billina, a shadowy figure observed them from the shadows of the forest behind