Chapter 5 Princess Mombi

As they strolled through the enchanting landscape, Dorothy's curiosity soared about the enigmatic Queen Roquat and the formidable Princess Mombi. "Tell me more about Princess Mombi and Queen Roquat," Dorothy probed the Wheeler eagerly. "How did they come to rule over the Land of Oz?"

"Ah, what an epic yarn," exclaimed the Wheeler with a glint in his eye. "Queen Roquat commands from her mountain in the Land of Ev, while the enigmatic Princess Mombi hails from the Gillikin territory up north. Mombi struck a cunning pact with Roquat, bartering her way into royalty to claim the Emerald City and the Land of Oz. From the City, the Princess Mombi runs the Land of Oz in the Queen's name.

Notably, Princess Mombi harbors a fierce aversion towards men. She threw out all of Oz's gender equality laws and made new laws to favor women. Now, men are charged with household duties such as cooking and cleaning, while women reign supreme over the domestic domain.

"I have no recollection of Mombi," Dorothy mused. "What does she look like?"

"That, my dear, is a conundrum," the Wheeler replied. "The Princess Mombi assumes a new guise each time I lay eyes on her. The one constant is a magnificent ruby key she wears on her left wrist. It serves as the sole identifier of her royal status. Her transformations bewilder even her own subjects."

"How peculiar!" Dorothy exclaimed, wide-eyed. "So, these myriad princesses are actually one and the same person?"

"Not precisely," the Wheeler clarified. "There exists only one princess, but she presents herself in various forms, each more captivating than the last."

"Surely she must possess some magical powers," Dorothy speculated.

"I doubt it," the Wheeler countered. "Yet an aura of mystery surrounds her. Vanity consumes her, as she resides in a chamber lined with mirrors to admire her reflection from every angle."

Silence fell upon the group as they emerged from the forest, beholding a breathtaking valley replete with lush greenery, quaint farmsteads, and a large city at its heart. The Emerald City, once resplendent with gleaming emeralds, now appeared somber, its treasures seized by Roquat upon her conquest. Ahead lay the familiar yellow brick road, a nostalgic sight for Dorothy from her earlier journey.

Guided by the daring Wheeler, Dorothy and Tiktok approached the city gates, where two stern women in regal attire stood guard

Guided by the daring Wheeler, Dorothy and Tiktok approached the city gates, where two stern women in regal attire stood guard. While the Wheeler was known to them, Dorothy, Billina, and Tiktok faced initial scrutiny. Upon gaining entry, Dorothy was met with a surreal scene: men engaged in household duties while women supervised. The air buzzed with tension as men toiled in gardens, kitchens, and markets, as described by the Wheeler. Few spared a glance at the newcomers, while the women observed them intently, creating an unsettling atmosphere.

Undaunted, the intrepid Wheeler led Dorothy and Tiktok towards the grand royal palace, its former glory now faded. Recognizing it as the site of her past encounters with the enigmatic Wizard of Oz, Dorothy pointed out landmarks like where the Wizard's balloon was launched. Approaching the palace entrance, they found it sealed, bearing a cryptic message: "OWNER ABSENT. Please Knock at the Third Door in the Left Wing."