Chapter Eight

For someone who wore dresses often, wearing pants and a shirt would have made them feel exposed, wholly on display.

But I didn't.

It felt like a part of me had returned. I was comfortable in my skin as the tight, breathable fabric hugged my body. The strap fastened around my waist held a dagger at the small of my back. Two matching straps gripped my thighs, holding two more daggers.

Unlike the rest of the King's soldiers, I didn't have a sword. It was the one skill I wasn't allowed to learn. But little did they know, that left me with more time to focus and improve not only my hand to hand combat skills, but my ability to read my appointment, to get inside their mine and anticipate their next step.

My hair was pulled tight into a ponytail, swaying back and forth with each step I took as I strode across the front yard of the palace to where everyone waited.

Two horses were already saddled and ready to go.

After saying goodbye to everyone, I mounted my horse, bag weighing down against my back and took one last look at them all before heading off with the Shadow Knight.

I followed the monster out of the palace and into the forest toward the East side. The trees along the path were almost bare, save for the small amount of green moss covering some of the thin branches. The flattened dirt made it an easy trek, not having to look out for any hazards. But I still kept my attention on high alert.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" the monster said at last, staring into the distance.

I gripped the reins tightly, surveying the area for any signs of danger. "What can I say? I like to keep things interesting."

He hummed. Out of curiosity or concern, I couldn't tell yet. "If you're a soldier, where is your sword?"

"I don't have one. I never learned."

A gentle pull on the reins had his horse slowing down long enough for me to catch up. "The other soldiers wore green, why are your clothes black?"

"I had mine custom made. I'm not a fan of green."

"Why black?"

"Are you going to interrogate me or are we going to do a job?"

He chuckled, so deep it practically crawled across my skin and seeped into my bones.

The monster leaned back on his horse, hand resting behind the saddle and smiled. I could feel the weight of his eyes looking over my body even as I kept my focus on the path in front of me, still searching for any sign of threat.

But the monster kept at it. Staring and waiting long enough for it to become so uncomfortable that I'd say something, give in to him.

A tormentingly long minute passed. My hands burned, reigns rubbing against my sweaty palms. Sweaty from his eyes still being glued to me.

"It's easier to hide in the dark," I admitted.

Seemingly satisfied with my answer, he twisted back in the saddle to face the direction of home. His home.

"Don't think I'm going to wait around for you, Princess. You best keep up," he said,

tightening his legs around his horse, before galloping off.

Shortly after, I followed suit.

...

I imagined crossing over the border into the East would be painful. That I'd feel a zap of electricity, magic in the air. Or perhaps I'd grow pointy ears and a tail. Better yet, maybe a monster would jump out and hiss at me with its venom ridden fangs.