Chapter Thirty Three

When we finally made it home that evening, I changed into warm clothes and met everyone on the roof.

Nikos sat at a table off to the side with Elianna and a few others I didn't recognize playing cards. Mia and Naia were opening a bottle and helping themselves to a big glass of wine. Caeden, Danver, and Vincent were scarfing back a bunch of the food off the far table.

I walked over to Naia and Mia, and chuckled as Naia took a big gulp right out of the bottle. "What are we doing up here?"

Naia handed a glass to me with a very small amount of wine. "Our wine is a lot stronger than yours," she said, winking. "And we're out here to watch the lights. It's really beautiful."

The sweet liquid cooled my throat as I took it all back in one sip. And then I handed the empty glass back to her.

I pulled the thick wool tighter, but the breeze was not cold at all, warm even. Perhaps the weather knew what day it was too.

"You keep tossing back our wine like that and someone's going to have to carry you to bed," Vincent said, as he walked over with Caeden and Danver. "And you can bet your ass it won't be me."

Danver wrapped his arm around Naia's waist and lifted her off the ground, pulling her away from the group.

"My drink," she whined.

"I guess you'll have to drink it fast," Danver teased as he held onto her waist, spinning her round and round, pulling her to the side to dance.

We could still hear the music playing in the distance. monsters still cheered and danced through the streets. A loud bang resonated through the air and then lights blasted up into the sky. From a place so high, I watched as a million different colours circulated throughout the entire Kingdom, lighting up different areas before they sprang to the skies.

It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.

I stepped up to the railing, gripping onto the cold metal as I watched more colours light up through the Kingdom, masking the darkness with life.

"So," I mused, hearing Caeden shuffle up next to me. "You start your celebration by trying to kill yourself jumping off a cliff, then you spend time in the sweaty crowded city eating hot foods off the street, and then you come up to the roof and get drunk watching the light show."

"Sounds about right."

I didn't make it sound very pleasant, but it was without a doubt, the most fun I ever had. The most alive I ever felt. And my only regret was that Leila and my Dad wouldn't be able to celebrate it with me.

Caeden leaned his hand onto the railing. "What are you thinking about?"

A deep sigh escaped me. "Where to start?"

He hummed in agreement. "Dance with me."

His hand slid across the top of the railing toward me.

A slight nod was my only reply as I set my hand on top of his. His fingers tangled within mine and he pulled me away from the balcony, making a suitable amount of space for us to dance. His free arm snaked around my waist, pulling me into him as I lifted my hand to his shoulder.

"I have never danced with anyone before," I admitted, swaying in sync with him.

"You mean to tell me that you lived at the palace your whole life, attended royal events, and never danced with anyone?"

"You forget that my Dad is the General. No one would dare ask me to dance."

The music drowned out everyone's cheering and laughter as we swayed gently from side to side. I tilted my head back and watched as the light of the fireworks reached the night sky, painting the dark world with thousands of different colours.

Caeden's arm loosened on my waist and with his other hand still tightly holding mine, he spun me around. The breeze flowed through my hair as I twirled around and around, watching the colours in the sky mix together.

And before I knew it, a smile crept onto my face. The same one that was reflected on his.

He gasped. "Is that a smile, I see? Are you actually experiencing joy?"

I shook my head, silently laughing at his sarcasm. Even though there was a hint of truth in his words.

Over his shoulder, I noticed the rest of the team dancing, just like us.

It was moments like these that I missed in my life.

Moments of genuine happiness.

My eyelids grew heavy with pooling tears. Despite the shallowness of it, my breathing became shaky and slow.

This life was the life I wanted. Loving. Beautiful. Free. The life I wanted, but could never have.

One lonely tear rolled down my cheek until the end of the road, falling off and evaporating in thin air.

"Is my dancing really that bad?"

I chuckled and bit my cheek. "Perhaps it would be better if you showed me your wings."

He pursed his lips, shaking his head. "Again with the wings. Do you think we live in a fairytale?"

I rolled my eyes and squeezed the broad shoulder beneath my fingertips.

Then, his hold on me tightened and the world around us disappeared. I had to enjoy the moment while it lasted. Enjoy being there with him. With all of them. Enjoy being happy for as long as it lasted.

Caeden leaned back, pulling away from my grip. His lips morphed into a brilliant smile. And then two iridescent, black feathered wings stretched out behind him. Like hawk wings. I stared at them in awe. In awe at the massive expanse of them. In awe at the sheer beauty of them.

The velvety soft feathers brushed against my skin as I ran my fingers across the edge of one wing. My fingers trailed across the rows of feathers, brushing underneath them. I traced a long vein in the soft skin at the root of the feathers, pressing deeply into a spot close to his back. He groaned, muscles visibly tightening beneath his sweater.

"Ahh, I see," I purred, applying more pressure to that same spot on his wing.

He choked out a cough, covering up another groan trying to escape him. "What do you see?"

"I see now why you were hiding them from me."

"Why's that?"

I leaned forward, feeling his body pressed against my. My lips grazed his tensed jaw as I whispered, "because you were worried that I would stroke your wings so well, that you'd never be able to let me leave."

A soft laugh poured from the lips still settled into a wide smile.

I pulled back, letting my fingers continue taking in his wings. Exploring every inch and crevice. The colours in the sky reflected off of them. Blue, then purple, then red.

"How did you know I had wings?" he questioned.

"I saw them."

"How? When?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "It was right after I moved here. You were walking and I just saw these shadows shaped like wings coming out of your back. I've seen Danver's too. His were blue."

"Interesting." He tucked his wings behind his back before giving them a quick flap. Wind radiated from them and slapped my face.

I laughed and stepped back from him, eyeing the full length of his wings once more. "The last time I flew, I almost died."

The warmth of his skin brushed against my fingers as he lifted my hands to his neck, dragging me back to him. "A terrible experience that we will have to remedy. One day I'll fly you over the Kingdom, Princess."

Both hands settled on the small of my back.

"Hmm, I don't know," I muttered, letting him pull me closer. "What if you try to drop me? Or what if I fall?"

Again, we swayed gently, back and forth to the sound of the music.

Caeden smiled softly and whispered, "I'd catch you. I promise."