Chapter Thirty Eight

My fingers tightened around the handle as I flung the dagger toward a guard. The blade pierced into his shoulder slowing him down long enough for me to kick his leg out from under him. I pulled the blade out and winced at the blood that splattered onto my face.

A force hit my back, sending me tumbling to the ground, arms scraping against the dirt before I braced myself and climbed back up to my feet. But time slowed down completely. I looked around at the team, battling with the guards.

Muscles rippled through Danver's arms as the sword in his hands cut through the air, slicing into the guard before him.

Naia twirled through the air, leg kicking out beneath her. The guard groaned as her leg collided with his face, forcing him back onto the ground. He gripped her ankle, pulling her down with him. But she jumped forward, pulling her leg from his hand as she rolled across the ground and sprung back up.

Caeden ducked, narrowly missing the sharp blade barrelling toward him. His arm shot out beside him, bashing the guard's ribs. The guard crumpled to the ground and then Caeden had his sword drawn, moving onto the next set of guards making their way to him.

Mia screamed as an arrow plunged through her stomach and it was like Vincent had become someone else, something else. Despite his constant sarcasm, Vincent was soft, beautiful, and pure-hearted. Angelic even.

But in that moment, the angel had fallen.

A low growl sprung from his lips as he gripped the hilt of his sword, unsheathing it. He ripped through the crowd of guards in front of him. His eyes glowed as light radiated around him, from him - gold and red and orange - brighter and fiercer with each slash of the metal. His skin burned gold.

Like an aura of fire burning around him, burning within him.

I crouched down beside Mia assessing the wound. Luckily from my training and from personal experience, I knew how to deal with her wound temporarily. Mia choked on the tiny bit of blood filling her mouth.

I wrapped my fingers around the bloody arrow, applying pressure to the wounded skin beneath. "Mia," I called her attention to me, keeping her awake. "You're going to be okay. Just breathe."

Mia nodded.

Holding tightly on the arrow, I cracked the thin wood in half, leaving the small piece piercing her skin intact. "Leave this in, okay? To keep you from bleeding out."

Another nod of the head. She was alert, awake.

I rose to my feet again, surveying the area to see where my help was needed.

A guard stood a hundred feet away, directly in my line of view. He raised a bow fitted with an arrow at me. A smirk sprawled across his lips as his fingers tightened around the string. His thumb brushed against his cheek as he pulled back tightly on the string and-

"Stop!" The palace rattled under the voice of the Queen standing out on the second floor balcony. Her command ricocheted through the crowd as the guards froze in place. She leaned forward, elbows resting on the railing and smiled down at me. Smiled like she was watching her protege complete their final test. "They put up a good fight. Let them go," she muttered, waving her hand to the guards.

To say I was shocked, was an understatement.

We had just broken into her palace, rescued the soldier who killed two of her men and violated the rules by even being in valoria in the first place, and she was going to let us leave.

So I asked. "Why would you do that?"

She cocked her head to the side and pursed her lips. "Let's just say that I'm being merciful and now you owe me one. Besides, I have a feeling, my dear, that this won't be the last time we see each other. So, until then..." She waved her hand in a graceful but mocking manner.

The fire faded from Vincent as he knelt beside Mia and scooped her up into his arms.

She clutched her side where a piece of the arrow remained. "Vincent," she whispered, leaning her head against his chest.

His gaze softened as he tilted his head down to her. "Yes, my love."

"I need to say something, because I realized I don't say it enough-"

"You're not dying."

A shallow laugh escaped her and she winced from the pain spreading. "I know. I need to say something. What happened to me in the prison was the worst experience of my entire life, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat if it meant meeting you."

"I had been there for so long, by the time you got there, I was ready to give up. You gave me a reason to keep fighting." He swallowed. "And I will keep fighting for you until the day I die," Vincent said softly and kissed her forehead.

Caeden's hand spread across my back as he ushered me away, following after the rest of the team.

"Oh I forgot," the Queen said.

My heart dropped as I glanced over my shoulder at her.

The grin sprawled across her lips was enough to chill my blood, my bones, as she said, "tell your Dad I said hi." The grin stretched further. "Little viper."

#

After we arrived back at Caeden's house, we changed out of our bloody, dirty clothes into fresh ones. And I packed my bags to leave. For safety purposes, only Caeden and I were going to take the soldier back to Abneer.

The team stood outside the front of the house waiting for me.

Before I even got a word in, I was already sobbing as I strode down the steps. It was the last time I'd see them. My second family.

My chest tightened as I looked them over one by one.

I nodded softly, admiring that warm, loving smile. "Never stop smiling, Mia. Never."

She forced the smile to widen, even with the tears threatening their way out. And Vincent stood there beside her, teeth nipping at his lip to fight his own.

"Vincent, you're a sarcastic bastard," I muttered. "But secretly, I know you like me."

A chuckle found its way from him as I turned my attention to the next monster.

The usually calm face was now stained with tears.

I shook my head, steadying my breath. "Naia, I have no doubt you'll continue to put Danver in his place."

"I'll try. But you know he never listens," she rolled her eyes jokingly and nudged him with an elbow.

"Danver." His attention was already on me as I turned to him. "I'll tell Leila you're still waiting to bite her."

He snickered, crossing his arms. "Please do. She'll probably find her way here and glue my lips shut in my sleep."

I stepped back, looking at them all one last time. "In these months that I've been here, you've all taught me so much more than I could have ever imagined. About friends, family, love. If only we had more time together, for me to get to know you all better. I will remember you all for the rest of my life."

I took in a heavy breath, pushing my tears away. "To the ones we are fortunate enough to call family, to the family we get to choose. May they live forever in our hearts."

They engulfed me in one last hug.

And then, we were off.