Chapter 1

Cali. Camila lived in California with her father, mother, and younger sister.

I lived a pretty basic life, nothing so special out there, just your typical family. I thought of myself as "normal", but not many times did I feel like I was. Many times I felt as if things were changing around me, a feeling in my gut that I really couldn't seem to explain.

I'm currently in my junior year of highschool, California High. I don't really seem to have many friends, from the top of my head, I can only seem to count two, considering they're my reading and writing teachers. The only true friend I ever seemed to have, is Dinah Jane Hansen.

We used to both live in Cali together, we've known eachother ever since we were first born, with our parents being best friends and all, we ended up being the closest of friends as well. Dinah and I, went to the same school, up until I was thirteen years old. She ended up moving to Miami, but however, we never seemed to mind the distance, we stayed closer than ever, while being so far apart, she always came to visit on holidays and on my birthday.

As always, time passes, I am now currently sixteen and almost halfway through my junior year. Very soon I'll be graduating, and pursue my dreams in singing or being a teacher.

Although my mother was always so supportive in my decisions and dreams, my dad would always seem to disagree with anything my mother and I would agree on, or see eye to eye on.

Honestly, I've never really felt the father-daughter type of connection with him. My father always seemed to have that sort of connection with my younger sister, Sofi.

There would be times at dinner, when Sofi would spend the night at a friends' house, all my father could say, or talk about was how he couldn't bare with the fact that my mother would never ask my father if he was okay with Sofi going, or leaving the house, literally always Sofi this or Sofi that. I soon realized what was going on.

It was Tuesday, I had told my mother that I'd be getting home late that day after school for some tutoring I go to. I always seemed to tell my mother since she works till about 8:00 p.m.

I never told my father, since he would be home by the time Sofi got back from school, but my mother had told me that she would tell him just incase he got worried.

As I made my way down the hallway after school reaching my geometry class, there was a sign on the door that read "Sorry for the late notice, but tutoring is canceled due to a meeting held after school today." I sighed. Instead of going to the library to check if there were any books about geometry, I decided just to go home and relax for the rest of the day.

As I walk in through the front door, it's quiet. Very quiet. I made my way upstairs, slowly walking towards Sofi's room, when I suddenly hear a whimper.

The door of her room was barely open, as I look through the crack of the door, I cover my mouth and I feel a tear roll down my cheek.

I burged into the room, yelling, "GET OFF OF HER."

He turned his head away from Sofi to look me dead in the eyes, as he slowly moved his hands away from her bare chest.

My mind was rambling with images of what I had just seen. I was snapped out of my thoughts when two rough hands grabbed my shoulders.

My father looked me straight in the eyes, "One word about this and you're next. You better keep your mouth shut, or I'll do it for you." He started digging his nails into my shoulder blades, leaving my left shoulder purple, and my right shoulder a shade of red with some blood.

He quickly left Sofi's room, leaving the house and getting into his car to go to who knows where.

Still standing in the doorway, I slowly made my way over to Sofi as she was putting on her shirt and pajama pants, as she was crying.