Chapter Fourteen

It was the first time you were going to be visiting his apartment in Brooklyn and when he realized, you could tell he was nervous. It was adorable. So, after you got ready, dressed in a pleated high waisted skirt, a crop top, and some ankle boots along with a bit of jewelry and makeup, you took the subway to his place. It was only a two block walk from the train station and you were buzzing with excitement for this date.

You couldn't remember the last time you went on a proper date, and you were excited.

You told him to dress casually like you were, but when he opened the door after one knock, he still took your breath away with his dark jeans, soft blue Henley, and leather jacket. You smiled brightly when you noticed he wasn't wearing his gloves and his hair was even a little styled.

"You look hot!" You blurted before you even said hello, both of you giggling afterwards, okay, maybe he didn't giggle but he was nearly there, definitely blushing though, "Shirt really brings out your eyes."

"Thanks," He grinned and then tried to subtly check you out, "You look...I mean, you're...you..."

"Always a way with words, James." You winked teasingly, and he let out a deep breath before you leaned up to kiss his cheek.

"You look beautiful, doll."

"Thanks! So, are you going to invite me in?"

"Um, it's a little," He scratched the back of his neck, looking up at you from under his eyebrows with a grimace, "It's kind of a mess."

"Alex once left for two months and when they got back, it looked like more than a few bombs had gone off in our place – trust me, I've seen it all."

"Yeah, alright." He conceded after hesitating for a second, pulling the door back so you could come in.

You took your time looking around, glancing over the few pieces of furniture and the paint chipped walls, stopping by the kitchen where you saw a few notebooks and polaroids. You couldn't deny it was dusty, barely lived in, and could use a paint job, but you really cared for him, so you didn't want to be cruel.

"This place is a shithole," You deadpanned half-jokingly and there was a moment before the two of you busted out laughing, "I'm sorry! But it's depressing as hell! Do you ever even sleep here – oh, I'm sorry, mister one pillow, yes, I feel like you'll truly get lucky tonight," You teased, and he tried not to laugh, but ended up smiling, "Tell me you never had a girl or guy back here – please spare me that image! Did they run away screaming?"

"Sure, tell me how you really feel." He smirked sarcastically and you chuckled.

"I'm sorry, I just..."

"You're not wrong, but no, never had anyone over – my last place was torn down during the blip, and I didn't put much effort into finding a new place since me and Sam were working a lot after that."

"Why's there a blanket on the floor?" You wondered out loud with furrowed eyebrows.

"Hard for me to sleep in the bed," He admitted, "Too soft."

"You sleep fine in mine." You pointed out and he gave you a sheepish smile.

"You make it easy."

"It's still early," You checked your phone for the time and then met his eyes, "Wanna find a store and pick up some paint? Maybe some cleaning supplies, fresh linen, pillows, and-"

"You don't have to take care of me," He had an adoring smile on his face, "And I'm not letting you change our plans, come on, let's go get dinner."

"We'll pick up some dinner too," You agreed with a nod, going to leave, and then adding when he opened his mouth to protest as you reached him, "And these dates are my choices, so I'm just making some last minute adjustments," You went on your tip toes to peck his lips, "Alright?"

You grabbed his hand, and he laced your fingers together as you brought him outside, mapping the nearest store that sold the supplies you were looking for. Once you found one, the two of you got on the subway and rode it to Bushwick.

You crossed your legs as you sat next to him, still holding his hand, and then you rested your head on his shoulder.

"You two are so cute," An elderly woman said as she sat across from you both and you beamed at her, but then she added, "How long have you been married?"

The man who you assumed was her husband gave her a look.

"Don't bother them, Mary."

"It's no bother," You told them with a smile and Bucky squeezed your hand when you added, "But we're not married, we're actually on our first official date."

"Aw, you two make such a beautiful couple," She cooed, "Just lovely."

"Thank you, ma'am." Bucky nodded gratefully and she gave him a once over.

"Oh, he's handsome," She turned to give you a look, "Nice voice too – hold onto that one tightly."

"Mary." Her husband scolded lowly, clearly used to her behavior, and you laughed.

You both said goodbye when your stop came and you were grinning widely while Bucky seemed on the shy side about it, but he just held you close. You leaned into him as you got onto the right street and he pulled you even closer with his arm around your shoulders, kissing the top of your head. You held his hand that was hanging off your shoulder with the one closest as the two of you strolled down the way and then you kissed his knuckles before you had to let go when you both found the store and got inside.

"Do you like color – no, of course not," You huffed teasingly when you saw his face as you scanned through the paint samples, "You're the moody type who likes black, grey, and probably maroon, but baby, you gotta brighten up the room – you don't have a lot of light in your place, at least go for some white maybe?"

"Yeah," He smiled down at his feet, and you watched him curiously, wondering why he was getting suddenly bashful, "White's good."

"Why're you all blushy?" You cooed and he laughed lightly.

"It's nothing," He blew it off and picked up a few samples, "How about green?"

"Yeah, a lighter green on the bigger wall behind the head of your bed could look really cool," You agreed excitedly, and he smiled proudly, happy he picked a good one, "The rest could be white then, it'll really stick out, and since it's a studio, it won't be too much. Oh! We should get you some things to hang on your wall – I saw some photos you had on your counter! We could frame them and maybe get one of those cases for your medals and-"

"Slow down!" He laughed, kissing your cheek quickly as you clamped your mouth shut, thinking you were getting ahead of yourself, "It's getting late, and we can't do everything tonight."

"I have tomorrow off, we could paint some tonight and let it dry, and you could stay at my place, so you don't inhale all the fumes – is that a thing? I can't remember the last time I painted an entire apartment, but I feel like it would smell funny."

"That sounds perfect, sweetheart, I'll just go tell them what colors and how much we want and why don't you go pick out some frames?" He suggested, the smile never leaving his face, "I'm terrible at that and then we'll pick up food on the way back, alright?"

"Perfect – oh, wait, here," You dug into your bag before you held out your card and he gave you a confused look, "Five dates. All on me. Don't argue, baby."

"I can't um," He cleared his throat, his cheeks dusted pink, and you narrowed your eyes curiously at the reaction to the petname, "I can't accept that."

"Come on, the dates are my choices, remember?" You stood firm and he stood there, struggling, so you gave him a compromise, "Fine, we'll split the cost of the food we're getting, how about that?"

"That won't be as much as the paint."

"Have you forgotten how much I can put away?" You cocked an eyebrow and his eyes flicked between the card and your face, sighing before he took it.

"Fine," He grumbled, "Thank you."

You grinned triumphantly and then leaned up to peck his lips before he turned to find an employee and you smacked his ass.

"Hey!" He yelped, putting a hand to where you hit him, and you laughed at his flushed cheeks before he went off again, shaking his head fondly at your antics.