Chapter Twenty

He flew off to Utah a couple of days ago, but it was good timing since Alex was back, working an event in the city for a while. You'd admit, since he came into your life, you've gotten used to someone being around all the time, so an empty apartment didn't bode well with you anymore. In the months you've known him now, you knew both of you had changed and you truly believe it's for the better. There was nothing wrong with how you slept around or how both of you kept to yourselves for the most part – small friend circles, but to speak for yourself, you were happier now. He made you happy and recently, you took every opportunity to tell him so.

Especially after he opened up about Steve leaving him when everything had happened with Tony, Thanos, and the world getting put back together for the most part. You wanted to make sure he knew you were better with him, and you'd never leave him by choice. Yeah, you were so close to saying those three words, you just wanted to be sure you truly meant them. You did. But you thought you were in love once before, so you promised yourself to take it slow and just live for the little moments.

'Up on the altar of sacrifice, can't get in the habit of thinkin' twice...'

You were back at the bar for another busy night, and you had Leo cover the first half of your shift because you needed to visit a vendor, but now you were ready to work.

"Oh, hey," Leo was tagging you in and you smiled as he spoke, "Some guy was in here looking for you earlier."

"Cal?" You assumed, "Haven't seen him in ages."

"No, no," He shook his head with an apologetic frown, "Didn't give a name, but I told him you were working until closing, so he said he'd swing by later tonight."

"Okay, thanks."

You hoped it wasn't one of your one-night stands, but if it was, you'd just have to tell them the truth – this ass is off the market, people. Property of a Bucky Barnes. Yeah. You were lame, but you're happy, so, fuck it.

The crowd kept you busy, chatting with anyone who struck up a conversation, and humming along to whatever was playing under your breath as you cleaned glasses or spills, passed out napkins or evened the till. It was a good night and by the time it was closing at one, you were tired out, but the guy Leo had mentioned had slipped your mind entirely.

"Night, Hunter." Carl waved over from the door as you organized the glasses and bottles behind the bar.

"Have a good one!" You cheered and he smiled before he left, the door clicking closed behind him – something you haven't heard all night with the people coming and going – not to mention the sound that would mask the action.

You let a Foo Fighters song play as you did a sweep of the floor at the end of your cleanup, smiling sadly to yourself, but then you couldn't help but to bob your head along and do a little dance with the broom as your mic, making yourself smile. The music was turned up pretty high, but you still heard the sound of the door opening, and you spun around to face who you assumed would be Carl that forgot something, but you were accidentally starting to serenade someone you didn't quite recognize.

You froze for half of a second before you scrambled for the speaker to shut it off, the silence deafening as you turned back to him.

"Um, sorry, we're closed."

He was wearing a dark blue suit with a tie that had been purposefully loosened and you were slowly putting together where you recognized him from. Not being able to hide this registration on your face, you knew he was seeing a confused woman who was trying to piece it together.

"Are you the owner?"

"Not hiring either, buddy," You shrugged with a nervous smile, your hand twitching down at your side near the hem of your skirt as he stepped closer, "Alright, that's far enough," You put your other hand up that had been holding the broom that's now leaning against one of the tables – only a couple of tables' distance between the two of you now, "No offense – or offense, I don't care if you take it, but you're in a dark, empty bar and I'm a woman while you're a full strange man who looks like he could snap me in half. Think about how this looks. And then back the fuck off."