Chapter Sixxxteen

You woke up with him spooning you, his arm over your waist and his nose nuzzled into the back of your neck, his soft puffs of air hitting your skin. You smiled to yourself, your eyes still closed as you slowly woke up, and you snuggled back into him comfortably. Even the one of the two pillows you bought so that you could stay over comfortably without accidentally hogging his lone pillow in your sleep smelt like him and you couldn't help but to cuddle your cheek against it. Yeah, you could get used to this.

"Morning, doll," His early morning scratchy voice was nothing to sneeze at and you silently begged him to say more, "I know you're awake."

"Mhm."

"Sleep okay?" He asked before kissing the back of your neck lightly and you hummed, pressing back into him more, but then his hand on your hip stilled your movements, "Don't do that."

Which, of course, made you want to.

"Doll, I'm serious." He scolded sternly, stopping you again with a strain to his voice, and then you smirked, realizing.

"Does brunch count as a date?" You asked, yawning as you finished, and then you turned to face him, but you kept aware of your morning breath, "And when I say brunch, I mean mimosas and cereals. I know. I'm a fancy person."

"What're you, in a hurry or something?" He muttered teasingly, his eyes that were lidded with sleep never leaving yours.

"I miss being naked with you," You shrugged your shoulder that wasn't pressed into the bed as you laid on your side and he closed his eyes with a clenched jaw, pulling your arms off when you went to cuddle him, "Hey," You whined out, "Don't be rude."

"You can't just – nope," He quickly got up and you pouted, "Imma take a cold shower, so get in there before I do."

"Okay!" You got up, giving him a few sloppy kisses on the cheek, making him smile with his eyes closed, and then you strolled into the bathroom.

After you did your business, you frowned down at the sink as you washed your hands, not having brought any overnight essentials, and then decided to look for an extra toothbrush in the cupboard under the sink.

You crouched down after drying your hands and opened it, frowning deeper in an overwhelmingly emotional way when you found a little container with different products that he obviously didn't use. Everything was unopened, there was a toothbrush, pads and tampons, shaving cream, a razor, little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, a loofah that was your favorite color, and so many other things in a cute caddy.

You pulled it out and put it on top of the sink's counter, not knowing what to think of this. The same man who picked out an ugly, ugly shower curtain and barely had a decent mug for tea to his name thought that you might need this stuff if you stayed over. Yeah, you were going to try to keep this one.

You only took what you needed to freshen up and put everything back as it was, besides what you used, and then opened the bathroom door to lean up against the doorway. He was looking through his closet for something to wear, his back was to you, and you just admired him for a moment. You didn't deserve him, and you knew it, but you also knew you wouldn't be able to let him go to find someone he did deserve.

"I was thinking," He spoke up suddenly, jolting you from your thoughts, but before you could ask how he knew you were there he was already explaining it with a smirk over his shoulder, "Enhanced hearing, sweetheart. But anyway, so I thought maybe I could cook you some breakfast as a thank you for everything you've done."

He turned with everything he needed in his hands and walked up to you.

"You can-?" You finally caught up after losing yourself in thoughts again and he smiled with a nod before you remembered, "Oh, yeah, for Steve, right? Do I get the same privileges? Wow, I feel honored, Sergeant, thank you."