Chapter 155: Darkness in Man's Heart

Joshua followed his friends to the game center today. While he didn't need to rent a simulator pod since he owned one himself, he still preferred to play with others. They entered one of the closest game center to their school and greeted a few other classmates as they waited in line. After paying for the entire afternoon, they entered the common room.

Large groups of teenagers lingered in the lounge. Some of them discussed their strategies, while others talked about the news. Several projections of matches gave them something else to talk about. Several ads aired in between each match.

"Introducing the Young Blood, Cloudy Curtain's pride! Pilot our homegrown mech designer's training mech for free!"

When one of them showcased the game center's promotional mechs, Joshua squeezed his fists. As a fairly newly ascended player in the Silver League, Joshua still lacked the qualifications to pilot a 3-star mech. An average player had to spend at least a year to meet the requirements to unlock this tier.

Short ads like these became a conversation starter since they first aired in a couple of game centers. Most of the teenagers gained a new appreciation for knights once they gave the model a try. It left younger potentates like Joshua green with envy.

He had been one of Chasing Clouds' earliest fans! Why did Cloudy Curtain's homegrown mech designer suddenly move to 3-star mechs? It left most of his starting fanbase in the dust!

Joshua hadn't given up. He took on his training with renewed passion, working harder than practically every other classmate in his mech classes in order to climb up in the Silver League. He made some gradual progress, but at his current rate, he might as well be a snail.

"Hey, speaking about the Young Blood, have you heard the latest news?"

"What's up? Did our hometown mech designer finally develop a new design?"

"Pff, nah. That lazy bum is probably lying dormant again. I heard some of my mates that he might be moving away from Cloudy Curtain?"

"No way! He's ours! I'll beat him up if he's defecting to Bentheim!"

"Nah, it's not like that. Mr. Larkinson wants to stay, but some corrupt politicians are trying to chase him away. They're cooking up a new law that will hike up his taxes to ninety percent or something."

"What?! Even I would take a hike with those rates. They can't do that! Ever since Mr. Larkinson has made a splash, our mech scene is actually showing signs of life. It'll die if he's gone!"

Joshua frowned to the side. He approached his older seniors. "Is what you're saying true? Is the Planetary Assembly really trying to chase our only mech designer from our home planet?"

"Sure as hell. Just talk to the folks around here, half of us have already heard about it. My older brother who's studying finance says you can even look up the dirty details on the galactic net. Those dirtbag politicians aren't even hiding their crimes!"

The news truly alarmed Joshua. Like many locals, he was proud of his heritage and his birth planet. Cloudy Curtain might not be the most developed planet in the Republic, but they stubbornly stuck to their own.

While his well-off family insured he'd have the pick of academies once he graduated from his local school, he didn't wish to let go of his roots. Joshua intended to go back to his parents and give them a piece of his mind once he returned home. They'd better not be complicit in this rotten conspiracy.

As for the mech designer in question, Ves had taken an entire day to skim the forbidden research notes.

The bloodstained documents fascinated him in a horrifying way.